musical phases
Nov 15, 2002 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
what kind and how many musical phases have you gone through in your life?

what I mean by this I will explain in my example:
1. at about 8 or 9 I discovered KISS and listened to nothing else for about 2 years.

2. my next major phase was LED ZEPPELIN during my early and late high school years (I was obsessed with them)

3.late high school early college became my QUEEN years.

4. early twenties through 30 became the PINK FLOYD ERA.

5. since headfi I have discovered more music than I knew existed, RADIOHEAD, SIGUR ROS, PORCUPINE TREE, GYBE, and a host of others.

So what are yours?

Nov 15, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 12
Hmmm. At first, like any 8/9 year old, or well, me, I liked pop music. Basically, anything you'd hear on the radio, etc. Then, around that junior high school age(12, 13, 14, etc) I was quite a poseur when it came to music. I liked what every other boy at that age liked.
rolleyes.gif
Limp Bizkit, Blink 182, Korn, blah, blah, blah. Wow, I hate myself for even being like that. At around 15, I started shifting away from that. I saw the light, and started listening to radiohead. Now that I'm 16, my tastes REALLY vary. From Coldplay, to radiohead, to TONS of jazz, to classical, to some more classic rock(Rolling stones, Zeppelin). Heck, now I'm even starting to develop an affinity towards trance!

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 12
Age 11-14: Punk-pop & alternative
Age 14-15: Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B (this only lasted for about a year)

For the last year though, I've started branching out and liking other genres and instruments. I listen to a *lot* of Matthew Good, as well as some Sarah Slean, Coldplay, Wilco, Ron Sexsmith, Copyright, I Mother Earth, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Sigur Ros, Ours, Portishead, Strokes, Spiritualized, Pixies, Who, Incubus, Holly McNarland, Silverchair, Hayden, Norah Jones, Hawksley Workman, Explosions in the Sky, Queens of the Stone Age, Zero 7, etc.

Nov 16, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 12
i've always like indian classical (probably because i learnt it and appreciate it more) but besides that....

early on it was more pop and such rubbish (10-14ish)

but since about 14 and till now - electronic. just different types of electronic.. heh.

these days i still predominantly like most forms of electronic music (except for what's generally played in clubs and what gets passed off as trance.. ugh)

i love almost all acidic 303 driven stuff for some reason.

Nov 16, 2002 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 12
first (8/9yrs old): raggea
then: Nirvana, Metallica, Rage Against The Machine, The Offspring. we used to know almost all the lyrics of the Black Album, Nevermind and Smash
smily_headphones1.gif

then: neo-progressive rock ("third wave")
nowadays: Porcupine Tree, Peter Gabriel, Marillion, other classic rock acts, and Jazz
cool.gif
mister sophistication over here
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 12
Phase I: Top 40
Phase II: Pop
Phase III: Rock
Phase IIII: Progressive Rock
Phase V: Classical
Phase VI: Punk
Phase VII: Reggae
Phase VIII: Rap
Phase VIIII: House Techo Trance
Phase X: Oldies

[large time gap appears here]

Phase XI: Grunge (thank god for Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins (neo-progressive, Braver?))
Phase XII: Minor flirtation with hip hop
Phase XIII: Classic Rock
Phase XIIII: Pop (Britney Spears in "Slave 4 U")

When I get regress back to listening to "The Unicorn Song" I'll let you know.

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 12
Phase I -- Classic Jazz and Big Band. My Dad had hundreds of LPs's and that is what we listened to.

Mid 60's through the 70's Phase II -- Dylan, Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Joplin, Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe, etc. This was fueled by early FM radio.

Phase III -- Blues Anything I could get my hands on.

I hated Disco with a passion during this era.

Currently -- Returning to Jazz, Phase II revisited, Female vocalists (Tori Amos, Holly Cole, Beth Orton, Lucinda Williams, etc).

Here I would like to express my appreciation for the people that contribute to the Music threads. I have been exposed to many new and enjoyable artists based on your recommendations,

Nov 16, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang

Phase XI: Grunge (thank god for Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins (neo-progressive, Braver?))

ehm, Smashing Pumpkin definately has elements of (neo)progressive music. I'd rather put it in the alternative corner, but I don't know that much about them. neo-progressive is more about mixing styles from 70s and 80s progressive bands, without being really progressive (like more alternative bands like Radiohead can be nowadays).

Nov 17, 2002 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

what kind and how many musical phases have you gone through in your life?

I don't really feel I've gone through any "phases" as such, which to me, carries the connotation that I would no longer enjoy a genre after having "gone through that phase". I can honestly say that I still like all of the music I have ever at any point listened to. This is why I personally view these "phases" more as an expanding of my musical tastes, incorporating more and more musical genres. Anyone else feel this way?

0-13 ('83-'96): Didn't own a single CD/tape/radio, didn't really care! Until now I'd only ever listened to whatever my parents had playing, which wasn't much at all, and even then I didn't really listen. I knew I liked classical music, but still wasn't too interested.
13-15 ('96-'98): Bought my first two CDs. Both of which were Great Big Sea (local band thats made it somewhat bigtime)
15-16 ('98-'99): One word. Napster. Boy did things change. I started downloading all sorts of everything, with particular emphasis on The Offspring. I remember hearing some Dave Matthews (Spoon and Pig) from a friend and HATING it because of it's broken melody.

Since then I've gone through a nice few many "expansions", but never have I had all of my music in heavy rotation consist of one single genre. Some of these genres that have particularly grown into my musical tastes (in approx order) are electronica, classical, celtic, jazz and strangely, Dave Matthews. I've gone from thoroughly disliking his music to planning on having every CD and DVD by September 2003.
smily_headphones1.gif
And yes, that includes Everyday (
eek.gif
) but just for completeness sake
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 12
Ages:Music

10-14:Heavy Stage: Metallica>Ministry>NIN etc.
15-17:Alterna-Stage: Nirvana>Sloan>Sonic Youth etc.
18-20:Electrona-Stage: Autechre>Skinny Puppy>Kraftwerk Cocteau Twins
21-23:Maximization Stage: Classical, Jazz, Noise, Oldskool Rap: Bach, Fennesz, Suicide, Radiohead, godspeedyoublackemperor, Dr. Octagon, etc etc etc...

But of courese, all along I've still been enjoying the selections from past stages, it's just I like pushing back the boundaries of musical discovery in one area at a time.

Nov 17, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
The Chipmunks

The Monkees

The Beatles

lol. How strangely familiar that sounds! Most embarasing to report is that my brother and I preferred The Monkees to The Beatles when they were slugging it out side by side. Of course, they had a TV show.

But then, ahem, as the years wore on....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back