Musical Instrument to Accompany Guitar
Sep 21, 2008 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Firam

500+ Head-Fier
Two of my friends got guitars and I would like to join the fun. I would get a guitar to make it a trio, but I don't want to devote the time, effort, or money it cost to play the guitar. I am looking for a cheap ~$50 instrument that I would play. Something fun and/or unique, I first thought Mouth Harp, then I looked at a Melodica but then another friend took that so it's out. Right now the Thumb Piano looks cool. I don't know, do you have any ideas?

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 11
Get an acoustic bass from a pawn shop or ebay =D
4 strings isnt that bad =)
Or you could get a xylophone/cowbell/maracas if your friends wanna learn some spanish guitar/ bongos.
All could be cool and original!

Cheers,
Dave

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 11
music without devotion put into it is no bueno! but if you're just jamming around for fun, shrug, i'd still suggest a cheap bass

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 11
Bongos? Tambourine? Shakers? Wood saw and a violin bow? Nose flute? Dulcimer? Cowbells? There are some cool cheap percusian instruments like sticks, triangle, wood blocks. I have a metal washboard tie with 2 thmibles to play. Washboard? A theremin is out of your price range. Hmmm....can you sing? Whistle?

Penny whistle might be cool. Cheap and relatively easy to learn.
I think that the penny whistle might be the instrument for you. Unless you can sing or play the bongos (or do both).

Good luck and have fun.

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Another fun thing to use is a little glockenspiel or bell lyre as it is also known. It's like a very, very small xylaphone.

glockenspiel.jpg

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 11
It's not that I don't want to be devoted but that I don't really want to spend $250 on it. I wanted to have some fun at a lower price point.

A Ukulele might be fun.

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #9 of 11
I think you seem suited to the triangle.

Actually, bass is the obvious choice here. If you can find an acoustic bass, that would be cool. But to be honest, I'd get a cheap bass and amp off craigslist. Or perhaps percussion of some type?

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 11
I second the cello vote.

Or you might consider an accordion or hurdy-gurdy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back