Musical Fidelity X-RAY V3
Nov 29, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 7
What are you using now, and what kind of music do you listen to? I auditioned the X-Ray and Rega Planet last year (you can search for my brief comments about each if you are interested). They were both fine players, but I preferred the sound of the Planet better. I did not, however, purchase either player because the improvement in sound was not worth the cost to me. I then ended up purchasing new speakers and later a tube integrated amplifer. Go figure!

IIRC, the X-Ray was built quite well, but it did lock up on me once. I would still consider it, but I would also still consider the Planet as well if I was back in the market for a new source.

Nov 29, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for your respons! I´m lisning to rock, indie, soul, electronic, worldmusic and starting to explore the jazz...... My sorces to day is SONY DVD player 900 with hard drive and my IPOD G4 40G. Have you test it with X-CANs V3 ?

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 7
I do not have an iPod and I am not familiar with your Sony player. If you have a nice CD collection and appreciate listening to CD's, I think that either the X-Ray or Planet would be good solid players to consider. Neither is cheap, but both have excellent reputations with many audiophiles. The Planet might be described as a warmer player. If you like the sound of tube gear, you might enjoy the Planet. The X-Ray would probably be a better pick if you want lots of detail and resolution. While I can appreciate what the X-Ray offers, I would lean towards to the Planet myself because many of my recordings would probably sound harsh if every last detail was extracted from them. Remember, there is a reason we like Ingrid Bergman in soft focus!

Dec 3, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 7
The X-Ray definitely gives you more detail. I have an X-Can v3/X-PSUv3/HD650 combo, and I use it with other MF equipment (Tri-Vista). I love this setup. I'm considering an X-Ray so I can move the headphone setup into the home office. Over time, the setup will probably get expanded with the X-DAC v3 and the X-10 Tube Output Buffer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back