Musical fidelity X-can V8p "Hissing sound"
Feb 25, 2012 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chris ofc

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I have a question about my current headphone setup.

2 days ago i bought a "Musical Fidelity X-can V8p,

My setup:

Pc > Toslink (Spdif) cable > Matrix mini-i dac > G-Snake RCA interconnects > X-can V8p > Sennheiser HD800's.

The problem: If i turn off the music and turn up the volume knob of the V8p i hear a hissing sound.
If i put my pc volume on low, and my v8p volume on high then the hissing is all troughout the song.

Is this normal or should i return my v8p to the shop?

Chris,

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 5
My Xcan V8 is hooked up directly to a cd player.  I don't have the hiss.  Could it be something in your chain?  The first step I would try is to hook up to a different source and try to isolate the problem?

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 5
The hiss should not be audible on headphones over 50Ohms. I have the V8P and I get hiss on sensitive headphones like Grado's and IEM's. You should not have hiss at all.

Try to wiggle the DIN type plug (power) in the back of the unit. If it's loose it can be inducing noise. 

Another option is opening up the unit and looking at the tube pins. If they are dirty then clean them off at bit. Reinsert them and see if the hiss is still there. Tubes can be noisy by nature and your amp just might need new tubes.

One final possiblity is the hiss is from the PC itself and your DAC is picking it up. As Chris suggested, try a different source then. Maybe a MP3 player or CD player.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 5
I have tried the V8P in the following setups:

PC > Usb > matrix mini > V8p = Hiss.
PC > Usb > V8p = Hiss
PC > Spdif > matrix mini > V8p = Hiss
PC > Coax > matrix mini > V8p = Hiss

Ipad > V8p = no hiss.
Digital tv box > Coax > matrix mini > V8p = no hiss

So the Hiss is comming from my pc, whatever output i use. (Coax - Spdif - Usb)
Can i somehow fix this problem?, would a better dac do a better job of filtering out the hiss?

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi,

The hiss is from the PC power supply. Unfortunately I don't think there is away of filtering it out. A better DAC might help but I am not sure. You could always try a USB converter and see if that eliminates the noise.

Quote:
I have tried the V8P in the following setups:

PC > Usb > matrix mini > V8p = Hiss.
PC > Usb > V8p = Hiss
PC > Spdif > matrix mini > V8p = Hiss
PC > Coax > matrix mini > V8p = Hiss

Ipad > V8p = no hiss.
Digital tv box > Coax > matrix mini > V8p = no hiss

So the Hiss is comming from my pc, whatever output i use. (Coax - Spdif - Usb)
Can i somehow fix this problem?, would a better dac do a better job of filtering out the hiss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back