musical fidelity x-can v8
Jan 5, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #16 of 25
Not sure exactly, but I wouldn't chance it with the PSU.

Also I remember a while back that I heard MF was going to discontinue the X-CanV8P.

As for the amp thing, no it won't drive speakers if that's what you were asking. The pre-amp is good for controlling the volume when you can't do it on some other hardware.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I remember a while back that I heard MF was going to discontinue the X-CanV8P.

Hmm.... new one in the works?
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 25
Perhaps, but it was a rumor from months back and I don't think anyone followed up on it.

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #21 of 25
Hi anvious, please dont apologies for being 'completely noob' as you your questions are perfectly sensible and reasonable. I had to ask them once too.

The whole point of the separate PSU is so that manufacturers acb avoid the build costs of puttiing different PSUs in each piece of kit. Take laptops for example, they always come with PSUs so that Dell can sell the same PC all over the world. It also means you can take your Dell all over the world so long as you have have suitable plug adaptors. So long as the PSU outputs 24V AC at 500mA to the X-CAN, it will be what the amp needs. Bear in mind AC to AC PSUs are not the same as, or as common as AC to DC PSUs. If you can by from an official dealer then you can ensure you get a PSU suitable for where you are. If you ever move you may need to change the PSU.

You are right, power amps are for speakers and the V8P can be a preamp controlling volume and driving headphones.

The other nice feature we have not mentioned is the USB DAC within the amp. It can be connected to a PC with an A to B USB cable and you can listen to music off the computer. Others disagree, but I say the sound from the X-CANS DAC is very good. It is the same USB DAC chip that is in the MF V-DAC and V8DAC, so it cant be bad.

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #22 of 25
Thanks for the very clear answer Rock Man. What you're saying is that the interior of the V8P is completely the same world wide, but the PSU supplied with it is different depending on where you bought it. Just making sure.

The DAC is precisely the reason I was looking at the V8P, I don't have much desk space and so I went for a DAC/Amp combo. It's assuring that someone thinks the DAC chip is good, not that I would be worried because I'm looking to upgrade slowly.

Even if the USB DAC Chip is the same as the V-DAC, it would still be an upgrade from just the V8P to hooking up a V-DAC to the V8P right? I assume it's not -just- the chip that makes the DAC.

Jan 5, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #23 of 25
the dac in the v8p is average. it is good sounding. i recently upgraded to a dacmagic and there is a difference. not night and day though. the bass and instrument separation is better.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by anvious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the very clear answer Rock Man. What you're saying is that the interior of the V8P is completely the same world wide, but the PSU supplied with it is different depending on where you bought it. Just making sure.

The DAC is precisely the reason I was looking at the V8P, I don't have much desk space and so I went for a DAC/Amp combo. It's assuring that someone thinks the DAC chip is good, not that I would be worried because I'm looking to upgrade slowly.

Even if the USB DAC Chip is the same as the V-DAC, it would still be an upgrade from just the V8P to hooking up a V-DAC to the V8P right? I assume it's not -just- the chip that makes the DAC.

Your first paragraph about the PSU is correct.

The DAC chip is the same, but as you say the rest of the setup is different. Unsinare is spot on with his post. The V8Ps DAC is a starter DAC which sounds absolutely fine and much better than the sound card in my Dell Inspiron laptop doing the D to A converting. A DACmagic, like my Firestone Fubar USB DAC/Supplier is an upgrade, but not of the night and day variety. I found that the Fubar added dynamic and sound stage more than detail and clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back