musical fidelity x-can v8
Jan 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by anvious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked both of these sites... why aren't they in the catalog?

Music Direct has it in a package deal with HD650 and Cardas cable. The links on their site are a mess.... They should be able to give you a quote on the amp though. The X-Can v8 is identical to X-Can V8p, the "p" just has pre-amp output instead of loop out.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 25
That's so weird. Can someone give me an estimated price I should be paying for a X-Can V8P? I'm currently in Taiwan and was offered a 666$... which I thought was a little high...

I gave Audio Advisor a call and they said they don't carry it anymore, said that there's no distribution in the USA?!

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 25
Jan 4, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 25
I was worried because of the voltage difference. I would be using it mainly in the states and I'm assuming that the UK dealer would be selling 220v. Taiwan uses 220v as well so I'm looking there...

The Taiwanese company I'm looking at has a discounted unit at 520$ but it's at 220V. If I want 110V, I'd have to pay MSRP.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 25
Sorry, forgot about the plug and voltage situation. But MF like so many use PSUs so the one amp can be supplied with different PSUs depending on the country. Is it not just a case of matching the correct PSU?

This is the specs for the V8P http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ...P/X-CANV8P.pdf

and you need an input of 24V AC at 500mA.

PS - using a non supplied PSU invalidates any warranty.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 25
Now I'm really confused. Where are people getting their X-Cans in the states with correct voltage? I just called Music Direct as well and they said they don't have them as well and hasn't for a while?!

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 25
I am looking to sell my X-Can v8, very very soon. Let me know if your interested.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 25
The PSU is the transformer/adaptor/wall wart that comes with the V8P top power it, the same thing as you get with computers...

4157kAo7zlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

So you need one that will work with your local mains supply. That is what I meant earlier when I said some manufacturers supply different PSUs depending on the local needs. Sorry, I did not mean the PSU that MF sells.

The pre-amp facility means that the V8P can be connected to power amps and act as their volume control. With its USB DAC as well it can accept a digital signal as well as analogue to forward to a headphone or a power amp.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 25
Jan 5, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #15 of 25
What the hell? I swear I searched thoroughly yesterday and it wasn't there. I even called them and they said they haven't had it because of supplier problems and that the US distributor is changing...?! Hmm... Thanks for the link.

Regarding the PSU, I was made to believe that there was something different inside the unit itself, not the external power supply. Is this true? Or are world wide units the same aside from the transformer/wall wart/adaptor?

And sorry for the completely noob question but power amps are for speakers right? It means that this headphone amplifier serves a dual function of driving headphones and controlling volume amps for speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back