Musical Fidelity X-Can 3 in Streophile Class A recommended list
Apr 17, 2004 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

tortie

Headphoneus Supremus
I was scanning along this month's issue and found out that MF's new X-can 3 is rated class A by stereophile magazine along with Headroom's Max & Blockhead & Grace's 901.

I was wondering, where are the other "big boys" like the HR-2 & Prehead? I havent personally heared any of these amps but based on people here, these two are one of the best SS amps out there.
confused.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 41
Maybe the X-Can V3 just owns their asses
wink.gif

It sure sounds good though, listening to "Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar" right now and it sounds better than ever
600smile.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 41
The Emmeline or Corda probably didn't appear on Stereophile's radar screen. Frankly, I don't think many audiophiles out there (i.e., not on this forum) know that the Emmeline and Corda amps exist.

Apr 18, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 41
Where can one go to audition an Emmeline amplifier? I was able to find a few pictures on the web, but no dealers other than mail-order internet sales. Perhaps the possibility that it doesn't meet Stereophile's dealer network criteria is why it's not on the recommended list. The build quality looks gorgeous, and in the August 2003 issue, Michael Fremer spoke very highly of it.

Apr 18, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 41
Other than a nearby meet, I don't know if Ray sells his amps to a regular brick & mortar audio dealer. But, the on-line route isn't bad at all. In fact, its better than the brief audition at the local dealers.

I order my HR-2 from Todd and he has a 30-days return policy. In fact, I was able to audition 3 amps from Todd before sticking with the HR-2. He should be more than happy to accomodate your auditioning request.

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeasingGuy
Don’t waste your time, Stereophile has strict policies about products they review. No distribution network, No review consideration.

Which makes good sense, IMO. One good review and you have tens of thousands of frustrated readers tearing their hair out trying to figure out how to lay their hands on the few units that might actually be available for sale.

Some of the "little" manufacturers are said to actually not want their products reviewed. They couldn't meet the increased demand if they wanted to. And of course, if they happen to get a BAD review, well then that could be the end of their business.

(BTW, I LOVE my X-cans v3!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 41
Musical Fidelity X-Cans V3 is in the Class A list!!! Yes it's a reasonably good commercial starter amp but Class A?

Also, I don't believe Jan or Ray advertise in Stereophile? Maybe if/when they do I am quite certain they'll make Class A category because Stereophile will then be aware of these fine fellows who make excellent products. In short Stereophile is probably unaware of the existence of the Corda or Emmline amplifiers
icon10.gif

You cant expect a magizine to be aware of somthing if it's not advertised in their magazine now can you? Afterall, they are not reporters - or are they
rolleyes.gif

Also I wasn't aware that headroom had a distribution network? In fact Corda has a network - in Japan (via Airy Headphone Shop @ http://www.airy.co.jp/) and in the US (via Todd).

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rameish
Musical Fidelity X-Cans V3 is in the Class A list!!! Yes it's a reasonably good commercial starter amp but Class A?

You cant expect a magizine to be aware of somthing if it's not advertised in their magazine now can you? Afterall, they are not reporters - or are they
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I remembered browsing through Stereophile's recommendation page and the Class A list is usually populated by gears in the $2K or $3K++ range.

The other day, I listened to NPR and the commentators were discussing the sales problems that many magazines are currently facing. As such, one commentator asserted that some magazines are facing increased pressure from their advertisers to include, among other things, the advertising company or products in regular featured articles, etc.

I remember purchasing a pair of Mission 580s on-line afew years ago. I did it based on its rave reviews on What's Hi-Fi (5 stars, bench test winner, etc.). Well, it was quite disappointing. The Mission sounded good, but I didn't feel it was all the rage. I finally sold it off on e-bay and took a slight loss. Lesson learnt.

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haribo
I see that some people have a hard time swallowing the X-Can V3's greatness
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Not that we are putting down the X-Cans. (I see that you own one
tongue.gif
). It just that some of us are kinda "ticked" off because Stereophile did not acknowledge the HR-2's greatness.

Yes, I own a HR-2. But that's besides the point.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haribo
I see that some people have a hard time swallowing the X-Can V3's greatness
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Haribo,
icon10.gif
yeah it's about the same as the Cary and Max in fact the V3 may actually be better
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back