Musical Fidelity X-10 v3 - Good match with X-CAN v3?
Jul 23, 2007 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jay B

Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting the total X series setup. I have the X-CAN v3 and am looking at getting the X-DAC v3, X-PSU v3, and X-10 v3.

The question is, will i benefit from the X-10? Or should I just save the cash. I can pick it up used for a decent deal, so it wouldn't be that much extra, and it would complete the X-package, which would be pretty cool
580smile.gif

The X-10 is a tube buffer that would fit in between the DAC and the headphone amp. It is supposed to add depth and musicality. It's also supposed to take the load off the source by matching the impedance. I believe this translates into a cleaner signal delivered to the amp.

The thing is, the X-CAN headphone amp already has two 6922 tubes in it, so you get some of that tube warmth already. The X-10 however has milspec (military spec?) mu-vista 6112 tubes. I believe these are custom made for Musical Fidelity and are quite good. So maybe they will add even more to the musical enjoyment. Or am I going to get too much tube feel (is this possible)?

Does anyone have the X-10? How about the X-10 hooked up to a tube amp?

BTW - I have Sennheiser 650's.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 17
Can't comment on the other parts of the stack, but I had the X-dac by itself for a few months without even the X-psu and thought it was fantastic by itself. Nice neutral sound, very detailed but smooth. I never noticed the flabby bass some people said it has??

Here's a thread I made about it...with links and some reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239311

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 17
I can't commend on the X-10v3 but I have the rest of the stack. The DAC feeds the GS-1 and with the K701 this is a very nice setup for analytical listening. But the DAC also feeds the X-CANv3 (fully modded and tubes changed) - the X-CAN just has crazy good synergy with the Senns. I really love the 650 out of this.
I decided against the X-10 because I thought I have the tube warmth in the X-CAN and I don't really want it with the GS-1. All I can say is that I'm quite happy with the whole system for quite a while now.

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by insidiousness /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got the full stack and love it! You'll soon be in audio bliss! I would mod the x-can but leave the others stock. The xcan only improves with the mods but the others can go either way.

Me too... [size=medium]Ditto![/size]

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking at getting the total X series setup. I have the X-CAN v3 and am looking at getting the X-DAC v3, X-PSU v3, and X-10 v3.

The question is, will i benefit from the X-10? Or should I just save the cash. I can pick it up used for a decent deal, so it wouldn't be that much extra, and it would complete the X-package, which would be pretty cool
580smile.gif

The X-10 is a tube buffer that would fit in between the DAC and the headphone amp. It is supposed to add depth and musicality. It's also supposed to take the load off the source by matching the impedance. I believe this translates into a cleaner signal delivered to the amp.

The thing is, the X-CAN headphone amp already has two 6922 tubes in it, so you get some of that tube warmth already. The X-10 however has milspec (military spec?) mu-vista 6112 tubes. I believe these are custom made for Musical Fidelity and are quite good. So maybe they will add even more to the musical enjoyment. Or am I going to get too much tube feel (is this possible)?

The 6112 is a nuvistor. This tube is a nos tube. This tube has not been manufactured for decades. So, there was no way this tube was custom made for this MF unit. MF has implied such nonsense before when they claimed they bought up the entire world's supply of nuvistor's for a power amp and preamp they made many years ago. Last time I checked you can still buy those tubes for a few dollars each at a number of tube dealers.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 17
I had the full stack, except that I was using a GS-1 instead of the X-CAN. I had it set up so that I could bypass the tube buffer with a quick flick of the GS-1's input switch, and I really liked what the buffer did to the sound with the W5000, but when I switched to the DX1000 (which is more warm and bassy like the HD650) it added more warmth to the already warm cans. I couldn't decide if I liked it better with, or without the tube buffer. I ended up keeping the tube buffer turned on most of the time. But you'll already have the warmth from the X-CAN. The GS-1 is a more cold/analytical amp and it needed the warmth that the X-10 provided. It is possible to warm up the signal too much with a dark pair of headphones like the HD650, IMO.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 17
Well i think you may have just saved me some cash then. I already find the 650's 'dark', and agree with people when when they say they are 'veiled'. Two sets of tubes might just warm it up too much for my tastes.

I think i'll go without the X-10 for now. Down the road I might do a demo of the X-10 if I find a place that offers demos.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Well i think you may have just saved me some cash then. I already find the 650's 'dark', and agree with people when when they say they are 'veiled'. Two sets of tubes might just warm it up too much for my tastes.

I think i'll go without the X-10 for now. Down the road I might do a demo of the X-10 if I find a place that offers demos.

Jay, I have the X-DAC V3 and the X-Can V3, both are being driven by Little Pinkies PSUs. I also had PinkFloyd mod my X-Can V3 and it took it to a whole new level. If you are interested shoot me a PM and I will give you his contact information.

BTW, if you have a chance get a pair of Russian 6H23-EB tubes for the X-Can V3 I find that they add enough warmth where the X-10 is not needed. Good luck.

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, if you have a chance get a pair of Russian 6H23-EB tubes for the X-Can V3 I find that they add enough warmth where the X-10 is not needed. Good luck.

Ever try British Mullard ECC88's? I hear they are some of the best 6922/ECC88's out there. My local dealer has them for $79 CAD.

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #13 of 17
Another option is that I go for the X-DAC v8. It just came out, and offers some pretty cool features. It is equivalent to the X-DACv3, X-PSUv3, and X-10D all in one box. Plus you can switch the X-10D tube component on/off, switching between SS and Tube output. Note however it is the X-10D, the older model, not the X-10v3, which I found to be a little odd but I'm sure there's a good reason for it. It also offers USB input, but apparently the USB device doesn't support ASIO; a nice feature none the less.

I heard that the X-DAC v3 has been discontinued, but I'm getting my local dealer to check if they can get one. If they can't get the v3 I'll go for the v8.

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

580smile.gif

I had the complete set up minus the Xcan 3.. But my Xdac3 & tube buffer were modded..

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't comment on the other parts of the stack, but I had the X-dac by itself for a few months without even the X-psu and thought it was fantastic by itself. Nice neutral sound, very detailed but smooth. I never noticed the flabby bass some people said it has??

Here's a thread I made about it...with links and some reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239311

Compare it to the DAC1 & you will hear the flabby bass.. One of the first thing I noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back