Musical Fidelity V3
Mar 18, 2004 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gort

100+ Head-Fier
April issue of Stereophile ranked it as Class A ($400 amp). So I bought the January issue from zinio.com for very short review of the amp. But reviewer only used HD600 with it.

Is V3 that good? There are many posts here about how SXH-1 is better than V3.

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 9
The v3 is not bad. The Perreaux is better, its less bright and has more bass. I think I am the only one on this forum who has heard both (I could be wrong though).

Mar 18, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 9
The Stereophile reviewers seem to have limited exposure to headphone gear. At least that was my suspicion when i'd see their class ratings. And those impressions are sometimes quite old (outdated?) for some products like Headroom Supreme , 1994!!!

Mar 18, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 9
pbirkett, which headphones have you tired with V3? Is it only good for Senns?

eyeteeth, I only buy recommended product issues and back issues for reviews of headphone stuff.

Mar 18, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by gort
eyeteeth, I only buy recommended product issues and back issues for reviews of headphone stuff.

The April 2004 issue of Stereophile is using a 1994 review regarding the mentioned amp. Just pointing out that Stereophile may be lacking.

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Gort, I have tried the Senn HD650, Sony MDR-CD3000 and Beyer DT531 with the X-Can v3. It did seem to drive all of them quite well, and if anything, probably suited the Senns the most, due to its lean and bright nature, balancing out what I felt was a fairly dark and bassy headphone.

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 9
The April 2004 issue of the UK's "What HiFi" gives the X-Cans v3 four stars [out of five].

The reviewer likes the treble ["full of detail but avoiding harshness"] and mid-range but "its weighty delivery can be a touch graceless and more complex bass-heavy tunes can confuse it, which muddles delivery".

In the same article the Creek OBH-21 [not SE] rates 5 stars. But, they seem to take price into account when awarding stars.

Mar 18, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #8 of 9
The Perreaux is much more detailed and authorative the the X-Can v3, I would not say the X-Can v3 was a detailed amp, its very forgiving, and dont get me wrong it has a nice sound in its own right, but its really not in the same league as the Perreaux. I would say the X-Can v3 could sound harsh sometimes, my mate said the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back