Musical Fidelity EB-50 appreciation thread
Jan 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

krismusic

Headphoneus Supremus
I am surprised that the first headphones (IEM's) from such a highly respected Hi Fi manufacturer as Musical Fidelity have not generated more discussion on here. So, although I am not sure how qualified I am I will give writing a review a go for the first time.
One reason I am not sure of my credentials is that I have only ever owned one serious pair of headphones. The Sennheiser IE 8's. I have used them for a couple of years and have learned to enjoy their strengths and live with the infamous mid bass hump and resulting veil.
I was happy enough but when I read of a new IEM from MF I was very interested. Especially at the fairly modest price of £150.
The EB-50's come with yadda yadda and they look blah blah. The all important thing for me is how they sound.
Having said that it may be helpful for me to mention fit. I have never had a moments problem getting a good seal with the IE8's using the supplied silicone tips. The EB-50's come with a crazy number of options. The seven advertised tips plus a load more in a plastic bag in the box. None of them worked for me and I resorted to Comply foam tips.
Back to the sound.
Compared to the IE8's never has the phrase
"night and day" been more appropriate.
The IE8's very definitely have a dark sound. Putting in the EB-50's is the aural equivalent of stepping into the light.
The sound is clean, clear and precise.
Very Hi Fi. In the sense that it is very accurate but is it enjoyable?
MF use the phrase "ruler flat" to describe the frequency response, which makes sense now that I hear them.
The top end is incredibly clear but avoids being harsh.
The bass is there but sometimes I have to listen for it in a similar way that I have to concentrate to hear the detail in the top end of the IE8's.
It is vocals that are really phenomenally well presented with the EB-50's. Ironic as this is a weakness of the IE8's. IMHO.
At first I thought that I could not enjoy the EB-50's as I was missing the "fun factor" of the IE8's. swapping between the two I find that I cannot forego the EB-50's fantastic midrange.
I always knew that the IE8's were presenting a false version of a recording but listening has always been entertaining.
The MF's tell the truth.
The question is,
can you handle the truth?!

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 14
fully agree, Musical Fidelity eb50 are superb IEMs, very neutral and detail revealing. i bought them a month ago and was stunned by their musical presentation ... while not everyone's cup they bring sound to a whole new level, detailing, airy open stage, literally ticking down most of audiophile boxes. if i miss anything on eb50 is a bit mid bass forwardness and lower octave reverberations... but hey, we are not talking about 3 way floorstanders with two woofers all powered by tube setup but a pair of small IEMs. what i found especially mind blowing was midrange presentation, you literally can hear singer breath and cough if any... voice and whispers go in your head, you just begin to think you gone crazy and your own head is talking and singing.

as regards tips, here i have difficulty, in the end i found the original tips put on eb50 to fit me best... in terms of comfort i would say eb50 are fine but not the best ... but once you find right tips for you they will reward you with great musical presentation you perhaps did not hear before. yes, Musical Fidelity again proved their high reputation and standing in high-end world.

make wise everything is high quality but i am bit concerned about thin cable on eb50 and no possible to replace it if original cable wears off. otherwise everything in eb50 package is top notch.

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 14
i do not understand why this IEMs from the top-end audio manufacturer gets so little attention? where are all audiophiles who wanted NEUTRAL SOUND, DETAILING like no other, FLAT RESPONSE, NO COLORATION, NATURAL PRESENTATION???

i have it and i enjoy Musical Fidelity IEMs so much. i admire this high-end manufacturer ability to bring such products to life for affordable price. incredible for single BA what this little IEMs achieves.

for me EB50 became a revelation, they are very neutral yes, they are not bass shaking IEMs, but music through EB50 just makes perfect sense, it flows organically and is well layered, stage, separation are incredible. it's hard to believe what a single BA can do but this is real and it must be heard. talking in high-end terms PRAT on this IEMs is great. PRAT = pace-rhythm-attack-timing.

i would love to hear the opinions of owners HiFiers about this product just to see if my ears have defect or we found a hidden GEM which will not break any bank account. for 199 Euros they are not cheap but they are worth every penny.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 14
I completely agree with you Gintaras and I don't think that there is anything wrong with your ears! Due to fit issues I ended up exchanging the EB-50's for ACS T-15's. thanks to hifiheadphones.co.uk outstanding customer service. The ACS are good. They sound like I would expect a £150 IEM to sound. I would have been happy if I paid £300+ for the EB-50's. I am very envious that they fit you. I believe MF have released them at that price point as almost a loss leader.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 14
yes agree, i have very funny ears, actually tripple flange would not fit my ear and would hurt my ear membrane... however advantage is i have most IEMs fitting me with factory tips and my hearing is very sensitive indeed.

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 14
I have been using the MF EB50 for several months, and they are superb. Sublime vocals, excellent clarity, non fatigueing, light/comfortable fit.Very balanced neutral sound. High end performer at a great price. But, Musical Fidelity are an old school established Hifi brand, so no surprise they have hit the market with a great product. Fantastic value for money. Recommended.

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 14
I have been using the MF EB50 for several months, and they are superb. Sublime vocals, excellent clarity, non fatigueing, light/comfortable fit.Very balanced neutral sound. High end performer at a great price. But, Musical Fidelity are an old school established Hifi brand, so no surprise they have hit the market with a great product. Fantastic value for money. Recommended.

yes, i think there is a lot to like about EB50 when you look for neutral IEM and clean musical picture.

still you have to check Dunu DN1000 thread because Dunu actually was teaming with MF for making EB50 and now i guess Dunu used that knowledge from MF to produce new hybrid DN1000 which gets rave reviews here 
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681435/dunu-dn-1000-dunus-hybrid-iem-appreciation-thread

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 14
A heads up for anyone interested in Musical Fidelity's headphone range. Posting here as didn't see anywhere better.

Seems MF have recently released a new IEM - the EB-33 - alongside their new on-ear effort, the MF-100.

I can't speak for the MF-100s.

But I used to own the EB-50s and quite enjoyed them, only to end up selling them to fund real life needs. While I had them, I did think they offered a pretty neutral, immersive sound which did nothing at all wrong and lots right.

So when by chance I saw my local Superfi was stocking the EB-33 for £79, and having some xmas funds free, I thought I'd give them a go.

I'm very pleasantly surprised indeed. They are a completely different design to the EB-50s - can't link you up yet as am new member (long time lurker), but Google will give you all you need. Nice packaging, good choice of tips, really beautifully designed IEMs themselves, with nice flat cable and a reassuringly solid metal and plastic shell for the drivers,

Soundwise, the stock tips work well but I'm using some UE900 tips at the moment, as they fit me perfectly and suit my preferred sound sig.

In comparison to other IEMs? Well, I've recently owned MF's EB50s, the Hifiman RE-400s (not impressed, pretty boring and lacking bass) and the Kef M200s (nice beefy sound, but quality control dodgy if you ask me - had to get them repaired when left LF driver crapped out,. so sold the replacement pair to a guy who now tells me a month after he got them they have developed same fault but on right side! Pretty poor really).

Compared to those 3, the EB-33s seem to offer a really robust build and a full, lush sound that provides plenty of bass but doesn't skimp on detail in the other parts of the spectrum. A richly satisfying warm-side-of-neutral, I'd say - they make listening to music a pleasure. What I mean by that is the hyper-sensitive audio critic that is my brain is swiftly silenced once I play stuff through these.

If I was to charactise the look and sound, I'd say a mutant crossbreed between the Kef M200s and the EB-50s, if that makes any sense. The bass that was slightly lacking in the EB-50s is now wonderfully present and correct, but there's no sacrifice to mids or treble, and there's detail in spades. Vocals sound exquisite. And the jazz I've pumped through them is ooooh, niiiiice. A bowlful of the mono remaster of Kind Of Blue? Please sir, can I have some more?

Bottom line: I'm well chuiffed with my punt on these. Comfort is great, build is great, they look beautifiul and they sound delicious. Result.

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 14
one small remark, EB33 sports one dynamic driver and EB50 is a single BA design, so this brings pluses and minuses to each and explains why 33 is on warm side of neutral :wink:

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Surprising bass body and extension for a single BA.

[edit] Tried another tip (soft silicone, large aperture) and am (more) sold on these. Soundspace is much improved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back