Musical Fidelity A324 DAC
Feb 4, 2005 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
There have been several discussions going around concerning DACs, and I have decided to spring for one soon. I have found the a324 for as low as $625 used, and was wondering how it stacks up to a Benchmark DAC1 which goes for $800 used. On the shallow end I think the a324 looks a lot nicer, but of course quality is my main concern. The a324s are about 1250 new, so it seems to be a good deal.

Thanks,

Mark

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm in the same situation. I'm getting a used a234 for an unbelievable price.

In these forums the benchmark and the bel canto seem to be the favourites, with the bel canto edging out the benchmark slightly because of musicality. Well i found this review comparing the bel canto dac2 with the Musical Fidelity A234 http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/d...2-mf-a324.html.

The review found their sound very similar: "Even when I thought I had some consistent sonic difference to latch onto, repeated back and forth comparisons would rarely reveal something repeatable. Never before have I encountered two components so sonically deadlocked. "

After reading this review, i think i'll be happy with the mf.

Feb 5, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 13
Also, is the Tri-vista worth the doubling of the price (1300 vs 650)? That is definitely getting out of my price range, but I'll save for it if there is a big jump, and if the Tri-vista outstrips the A324 by enough. However, the main question is still how the A324 compares to the DAC1. Based on the previous post it seems to compare well to the Bel Canto, but I can find that for $550.

Mark

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 13
Bel Canto DAC2 usually sells for 800+ used...
I think the $550 is a DAC1 (or you are getting a helluva deal
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
)

I was in the same situation, just bought a Benchmark for $825+shipping. I never heard either, but the deciding factors were
1) Some members have had great success with HD650 direct to Benchmark's balanced outputs, although I probably wont use this, its a nice feature to have.
2) Benchmark is supposed to be very resistant to jitter, which should go well with my AV710.
3) It's supposed to be one helluva DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 13
Like I said before. Lots of people rate the bel canto dac2 better then the benchmark dac1. The review i posted rates the bel canto dac2 very equal to the musical fidelity a324. I haven't heard any them of the yet, but i think that's a very good indicator.

About the tri-vista, i can't comment on that at all, but if you wanted the tube sound that the tri-vista has, just get the musical fidelity x-10 with the a324. cheaper.

Feb 5, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by byronyu
Like I said before. Lots of people rate the bel canto dac2 better then the benchmark dac1. The review i posted rates the bel canto dac2 very equal to the musical fidelity a324. I haven't heard any them of the yet, but i think that's a very good indicator.

About the tri-vista, i can't comment on that at all, but if you wanted the tube sound that the tri-vista has, just get the musical fidelity x-10 with the a324. cheaper.

The tri-vista dac is quite pricey. I can't comment on the standalone dac but I did use to have the tri-vista sacd player. I really enjoyed the sound of the tri-vista. I found it warm and musical.

Feb 5, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 13
Well, assuming the Tri-vista is out (its really out of my price range), how does the MF stack up against the Benchmark. If they are dead even, why is the MF depreciating so much more? Its started out at a higher price new, and is selling for quite a lot less used. Is it just "Flavor of the Month" syndrome? Further, is 625 shipped a really good deal on the MF? I am stretched badly at the moment to spend that, but if its a good enough deal that I probably won't find it this summer for that price I might consider it.

Thanks,

Mark

Feb 5, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 13
The MF dac is depreciating quicker because it is no longer the 'latest and greatest' dac from MF (Dacs are the MOST seceptable component to the 'FOTM' syndrome in hifi!). The Benchmark and Bel Canto are still their current model, hence higher resale.

MF are really great stuff (I've got the Trivista DAC, btw), and usually good value new, but especially so second hand because MF release new products so often (every year at least), whereas the other tend to cycle their products much slower. MF, also being run by a fanatical audiophile, tends to get overexcited about his new stuff and run down his old stuff (like many do with their old gear in this forum), despite the fact his old stuff is still really good. It sucks if you've bought new and want to sell, but great for people who grab them second hand at bargain prices
biggrin.gif
..in fact that's just what I did with my trivista!

Feb 5, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 13
I auditioned the Tri Vista dac with my AX and it was warm and musical. I have not heard the 324 so can't compare. It seems that the best deal is on the the MF products for the reasons expressed above. I have to put my Tri Vista purchase on hold due to my tt purchase.

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 13
So if I find someone offering me an a324 for $550 shipped is this a deal that I cant let go? I am not in a good financial situation right now, but if this is like the deal of the century I might be able to stretch for it.

Mark

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Target1
So if I find someone offering me an a324 for $550 shipped is this a deal that I cant let go? I am not in a good financial situation right now, but if this is like the deal of the century I might be able to stretch for it.

Mark

For $550 you won't do much better for a digital source IMO. The only other contender at this price range is the original bel canto dac-1, which is a good dac and can be upgraded later at extra cost to the dac 2, but if it is reckoned the dac 2 is on the same level as the a324, then the a324 sounds like the one to go for
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 13
Do you reckon I will be able to find one for $550 later in the summer, or is this a rare deal? I really can't afford to drop the cash for it right now.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back