Musical Fidelity A308 vs NuVista 3D
Sep 1, 2004 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bifcake

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone know how Musical Fidelity's A308 player compare to the NuVista player? From what I gather, the only difference is that the NuVista uses NuVistor tubes in its output stage, whereas the A308 is all solid state. I expect the differences to be subtle, but I could be wrong. Can anyone shine some light on this?

Thanks

Sep 1, 2004 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 3
Yes, the players are basically the same, but with different output stages. If I'm not mistaken the A308 series is a "converison" of the nuvista series to pure solid state after MF ran out of nuvistors... I have heard them side by side only breifly, and quite a while ago, so I can't give you a through sonic analysis, but they sound very similar. If my memory doesn't fail me the Nuvista had a slightly more warmth/body/silky smoothness to it's mid/hi. Basically what a tube output stage would give you, but I think I would have trouble telling them apart if I didn't hear them side by side...

If you like their sound, both are very good player. Personally I prefer a slightly more upbeat presentation, but that just a matter of taste...

/Q

Sep 1, 2004 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 3
I cannot comment on original A308 but the A308CR has a bolder sound than the Nuvista, the Nuvista and the Unison Research CDP are voiced similarly and sound somewhat soft and basically just do not dynamics in the way that the A308CR seem to do effortlessly, this softness is most noticable in the bass, here the A308CR simply walks away with the price and the Nuvista has no answer. It is most likely that if you like the Nuvista, you will not care the A308CR or the Trivista for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back