Musical Fidelity A308 integrated
Mar 27, 2004 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

darkclouds

Particular about his Sméagol Grammar we thinks he is.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a MF A308 integrated. There are several reasons for going to ss amp. For one, the added power will give me a chance to try out more speakers in the future. Another is that my room has gotten way too hot with all the tube stuff running.

So, are there any objections about this amp? Any thoughts and/or comments are welcomed.

Mar 27, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 12
Since you already have a good pre-amp go with seperates. The McCormack DNA-125 and DNA-250 are really good amps for the money. Smooth, slightly warm, with lots of power and detail. Can't say enough good things about these amps. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.

Mar 28, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks Tom,

You are right. It would be ashame to relegate the Stealth to just headphone duties.
I'm looking into the McCormack DNA125 as I will never really need more than that much power.

I was also thinking about the PS Audio HCA2. But have read comments about it's "shotty" construction.

Thanks CrescendoP for your comments as well. What amps are you considering by the way? As I've alluded to earlier, I really don't need much more than 150wpc.

BTW, although I'm trying to make the switch to SS, I'm really wanting to try Audio Research VS55.
redface.gif

Mar 28, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 12
Both the dna-125 and the ps audio hca2 have very high gain. I dont think they will work well with a high gain tube preamp, if you want ANY range on the volume pot. I have this very problem with my monarchy sm-70 pro. The dna-125 is 100k input impedence with only 1 volt needed for full output. The hca2 is 100k input impedence with 1.15v needed for full output. My pro specs almost the same as the 125 and hca2. Both of the dna-125 and sm-70 pro amps were designed with passive pre's in mind. I can tell you it DOES NOT work with my pro. I do think you can request a lower gain be used with the ps audio amp. I have read the same complaints (regarding the high gain) with the hca2, but the factory has responded by supposedly accomodating customers with a lower gain setting. I think you have to request this with your order, but check with ps audio to make sure.
wink.gif
I read about the poor construction and build quality with the hca2 as well. The musical fidelity power amps would be better for use with a tubed pre but I suspect they will be to clean sounding for a tube lover.

Mar 28, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by LeasingGuy
Tell us about your room, speakers, listening habits and musical preference.

It's for a smallish room, 14X14 and speakers are Von Schweikert VR1 with VRS1 sub with SCD1 for source. I may be switching to some Tyler Taylo monitors. As for music, just about everything, from rock to jazz and classical, lots of vocals though. So I don't want an amp geared toward one particular genre.

Mar 28, 2004 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 12
I like the 308 series from MF a lot. I had it in my listening room and it didn’t disappoint. Also look at Plinius, the 9200 integrated or power amp or even the 8200 MKII series should be on your short list.

Mar 29, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 12
LOL... sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself.

Well, I just grabbed a pair AES Six Pack. Yeah, I had wanted to go solid state. But damn, I just keep on looking at all them tube amps. They're just hypnotic! Man, it's gonna be hot this summer with a total of 12 EL34 tubes, not to mention the input tubes and the ones on the Stealth.

Anyways, wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back