Musical Fidelity A3.24 DAC - a great used DAC
Aug 14, 2006 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheSloth

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got hold of the first component in my system refresh - a used, but basically mint condition Musical Fidelity A3.24 DAC for $585 with a nice silver power cord to go with it. Came in a box for a Krell KAV400xi, so I can look at it and pretend I can afford a single component worth that much!

My first impressions of this beast (it is big - the same size as my Rega Planar 3 TT in all dimensions) is that it is a very impressive piece of kit. Design-wise, it goes back to 2002 but sonically it's absolutely current. It's an upsampling design, with selectable 96 or 192 upsampling. It accepts digital inputs up to just over 100khz, and has a coaxial digital loop out.

I only have 1 DAC to compare it with directly, and that's the Desktop DAC in my convertible (a $249 add-on board), and it's miles ahead. OK, so it should be, but the difference is quite striking. I have owned amps with HeadRoom Max DAC's in them, a Monarchy M22C and a QUAD 99CDP. The HeadRoom design uses a more modern DAC than the rest of them, with the Monarchy being a straight 16bit 48k design and the QUAD being an upsampling design much like the MF. This is better than any of them (of course, impressions by memory, but still).

The PSU is dead quiet - I don't hear any background noise above the noise floor of the amp itself. The unit itself is solid and heavy, and has decent feet for support and isolation. It is understated, with just a few lights to indicate power and lock on the front panel.

What it doesn't do is anything remotely balanced. It is unashamedly single ended. It also has only fixed outputs, outputting just over the CD standard of 2V.

That's it for now, but I'll post some photos including the innards later this evening.

Aug 14, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 5
I agree with you 100%! My A3.24 has been the benchmark for DAC. My modded Zhaolu is good but not as resolving or tonal neutral as A3.24. I have the A3.24 permanently hooked up to my Woo3 (GT 6DJ8/ Western Electric 5998 tubes) and I use it exclusively with my Senn HD650/zu and the combination is wonderful.

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Ditto... for the Musical Fidelity XDAC v3 (successor to A3.24+++)... with the XCAN v3... X10 v3... and either the HD650/600's + Cardas, or RS-1's - incredible detail, timber, texture, weight, and all the rest - just as the many reviews report - sometimes they really do know what they're talking about!

Another real bargain at ~$600 in the aftermarket.

GF2

Aug 17, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2
Ditto... for the Musical Fidelity XDAC v3 (successor to A3.24+++)... with the XCAN v3... X10 v3... and either the HD650/600's + Cardas, or RS-1's - incredible detail, timber, texture, weight, and all the rest - just as the many reviews report - sometimes they really do know what they're talking about!

Another real bargain at ~$600 in the aftermarket.

GF2

I actually was more impressed by the A3.24 as it has a very nice PSU section built in with two very large chokes. I'd be very curious to see the innards of the XDACv3 for comparison. I would expect the 3.24 to outclass the XDACv3 without the XPSU, making it incredible value for money on the used market.

Aug 17, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 5
You do have add the XPSU v3 for another $250 to have the equivalent set up - but, the many reviews quite clearly establish the superiority of the XDAC v3 / XPSU v3 combo. They point out that the XDAC v3 has the best specs of all DACs available - whether it does, I have no idea. With so many reviews out there, all making the same observations - I guess, I just choose to trust their judgement to "taking a look at the components."

But... it is fair to say that it costs about $250 more than the A3.24.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back