Musical Cans?
Sep 9, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #47 of 95
Hello I am looking for a pair of musical sounding headphones. Not sure where to start but been eyeing up hd660s, DT1990pros, focal Elears and hd800s it there any others worth considering place let me know.. I love listening to vocal/ instrumental and pop but also folk . I fact I listen to most types of music apart from hard techno/ heavy metal :)

many advice greatly welcomed.

many thanks
Define exactly what qualities make up the most "musical" sound to you. It means something different to everyone

Also what is your total budget for amp/dac/headphone , or if you are going to use existing gear which gear

Edit: nevermind looks like you bought something

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #48 of 95
HD 800/800S are not musical. They're analytical to the point you'll hate most of what used to sound like good recordings.

Not at all true with OTL tubed amps.

HD 600 is pretty fantastic as an all-around set of cans. You'll need a good amp to make them sing though. Tube OTL is best, followed by a solid state amp that swings a lot of voltage.
Right, did you try the 800's on them?
A more romantic sound can be had from the Audeze LCD-2C. They're easily driven by a modest solid state amp, they sound great out of a good dacamp.

Big dip in upper mids/lower treble and obvious drop-off over 14k. Relaxing, leather chair in the library type sound, but colored.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #51 of 95
so you would say HD800s can be warm and musical with the right amp?
I don't know if "warm" is the right word, but musical definitely.

Warm I think of all mids and hd800 has too much detail for that.

The most "warm" of the HD8xx series is the HD820, the least warm is HD800, and HD800S is in the middle

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #52 of 95
Some decent advice so far, except one. If I had to listen to only DT-1990's the rest of my life I'd be limbering up my Triangle Celius and ProAc Tablette speakers.

Your budget isn't clear. But if you don't mind $400 for a pair of used HFM HE-500 you will have a can that might not always outdo my pair of $1800 cans, but they are never really wrong or outclassed either, true and musical, just about on everybodies list around here as a must keep or get. Need an amp that does 1.5 wpc at 8 ohms, 2 would be better, Schiit is just the thing. Lyr 3 would be a great match.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #53 of 95
so you would say HD800s can be warm and musical with the right amp?

On the easy to obtain and cheap side I think a Schiit Valhalla might do the job ($349). I know its good on a used BH Crack w/ speedball (used about $650). I bet there are 2-3 OTL amps in the $1500-2000 range that would be sweet, but I haven't heard any.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #54 of 95
On the easy to obtain and cheap side I think a Schiit Valhalla might do the job ($349). I know its good on a used BH Crack w/ speedball (used about $650). I bet there are 2-3 OTL amps in the $1500-2000 range that would be sweet, but I haven't heard any.
I got one better for you

The original silver evga nu audio @ $199 does a spectacular job of taming the highs, tho it's a bit veiled;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MSQJ3GY

It was tuned by audio note, sounds like they tried to emulate a tube amp with solid state

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #55 of 95
I don't know if "warm" is the right word, but musical definitely.

Warm I think of all mids and hd800 has too much detail for that.

The most "warm" of the HD8xx series is the HD820, the least warm is HD800, and HD800S is in the middle

Along with an OTL amp I'd be using an EQ. I like the 800 over the 800 S because the bass is less distorted and its cheaper to buy. Even so, I wouldn't listen to my old 1950's Miles Davis recordings thru them - either the HE-500 or HEX v2 for that job.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #56 of 95
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #57 of 95
Along with an OTL amp I'd be using an EQ. I like the 800 over the 800 S because the bass is less distorted and its cheaper to buy. Even so, I wouldn't listen to my old 1950's Miles Davis recordings thru them - either the HE-500 or HEX v2 for that job.
If you get a chance check out the hd820 sometime. It requires basically zero EQ to be satisfying and delivers the goods soundwise. FR curve looks a little crazy but it sounds good to the ear.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #58 of 95
Veiled? I live for detail and air w/o annoyance from 2-14k. Detailed blunted - no good for me.
I'm just saying there are combo amp+dac options even under $200 that are hd800 compatible. Its not ideal but it's better than some of the screechy standalone amp+dacs at same price point.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #59 of 95
Some decent advice so far, except one. If I had to listen to only DT-1990's the rest of my life I'd be limbering up my Triangle Celius and ProAc Tablette speakers.

Your budget isn't clear. But if you don't mind $400 for a pair of used HFM HE-500 you will have a can that might not always outdo my pair of $1800 cans, but they are never really wrong or outclassed either, true and musical, just about on everybodies list around here as a must keep or get. Need an amp that does 1.5 wpc at 8 ohms, 2 would be better, Schiit is just the thing. Lyr 3 would be a great match.
So I pulled the trigger on some DT 1990 pro's, my budget is, well 400-600 I'm ok with, 300 is a steal, 800-900 I'm gonna have to grovel to the wife.. or simply not tell her.
if the 8.5hz spike is a killer then its going straight back. I have always wanted a pair of hd800s, and this is if they are worth it, then damn out comes the credit card. but getting mixed feedback.
I like the vocals and instruments of the hd6XX but feel the bass and highs could be more. Just want a pair of cans that I just want to keep listening to, make me loose and enjoy the music.
I have a pair of R300 speakers which I think are awesome, great highs , mids and bass. this in a head phone just listen to music over and over.

hope this makes sense.

if hd800s do this I'll get them

if there is a cheaper alternative, awesome

cheers

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #60 of 95
So I pulled the trigger on some DT 1990 pro's, my budget is, well 400-600 I'm ok with, 300 is a steal, 800-900 I'm gonna have to grovel to the wife.. or simply not tell her.
if the 8.5hz spike is a killer then its going straight back. I have always wanted a pair of hd800s, and this is if they are worth it, then damn out comes the credit card. but getting mixed feedback.
I like the vocals and instruments of the hd6XX but feel the bass and highs could be more. Just want a pair of cans that I just want to keep listening to, make me loose and enjoy the music.
I have a pair of R300 speakers which I think are awesome, great highs , mids and bass. this in a head phone just listen to music over and over.

hope this makes sense.

if hd800s do this I'll get them

if there is a cheaper alternative, awesome

cheers
What type of music u listen to most

Users who are viewing this thread

Back