Music: Your First Love
Jul 2, 2006 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

miTunes75

100+ Head-Fier
What music was your first love?

For me... The best times when I was a kid growing up was laying on my bed and listening to music for HOURS..... especially on Saturdays, I'd have the radio station on from morning until night. I kept up with the charts very well! Well, I was browing through iTunes music store tonight - just looking around - and I found "iTunes Essentials" of each year from like 1960-now. How cool is that. I clicked on years I was growing up... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95.... whta great memories and all the music that was available brought a memory back of something.

Those will always be first loves to me. Listening to some of them clips brought a smile to my face....

Anyone else experience this at all? As far as having certain albums or songs that you play consistantly that reminds you of your growing up years, that is

Jul 2, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 37
ABBA and the Carpenters. What can I say, I was a victim of my mom's 8-Track in ye olde Ford Torino.

Oh, and James Galway. Who has yet to make a retro comeback.

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 37
Pixies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 37
I grew up amongst Hong Kong pop music of the 70s -- real music, real singers, real instruments, real lyrics. Natually this gives me a healthy disdain to the cesspool that the local music scene has turned into. Most of the stuffs I used to listen are nowadays unavailable or sold at ridiculous prices; luckily I still have radio programs to hang on to.

When I was eight, a Japanese documentary called "Silk Road" was extremely popular in Hong Kong. At the helm of their musical department was Kitaro. That's my first experience with synthetic music, and everything were never the same again. I was a child then, not able to afford records, but when I eventually started buying CDs, I made it a point of getting almost every Kitaro CD I could find.

The first CD I ever bought, however, was Watermark by Enya. I learned about Enya through radio shows -- back then there was less tie-in between radio channels and record companies, and DJs were allowed to play anything. Oh those were the days.

But now I don't listen to Enya or Kitaro any more: both have gone stagnant and complacent, long having ceased to produce anything of significance. I'm amused by how easy it was to put my musical first loves aside, with hardly a hint of sentimentality. Neither makes it to my desert-island list. I have moved on, but they haven't.

Jul 2, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 37
Elvis Pressley,The Everley Brothers ,Hank Williams.All because of my aunts collection of 45s.then later the Beatles and the Stones when the British invasion hit the US.

Jul 2, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 37
For me it is Jazz that my dad collected. He had hundreds of records 78's and 33 1/3 from the late 30's - 60's. Many evenings were spent listening.

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 37
I listened to my parents country and western records as a kid (Johnny Horton's greatest hits being a fave) which I think gave me a sense of pop structure that I carried over into music listening in my teens. I liked J. Geils Band especially during the 80's, but in my later high school years I began my real music education. I would wander around in record stores at the mall looking at the various cassette tapes and getting info from various music magazines, and I started to pick up non-standard releases. The ones that made the most impact on me were Dead Kennedy's Bedtime for Democracy and Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions.

Jul 2, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 37
My first album:

B00005NUZM.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Also liked Dire Straits, Mickey Mouse's "Splashdance, The Beatles, Cat Stevens and The Bangles.

Jul 2, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 37
I grew up with the music my parents listened to in the 70s. As for the radio, that consisted of whatever was most popular then (a lot of Disco).

As for my parents music collection, it consisted of:

Dad - Beach Boys, Santana, Paul McCartny/Wings, The Beatles.

Mom - Barry Manilo, Elvis and Jim Croce.

The first group I discovered 'on my own' that deviated from what my parents listened to was in third grade, and it was KISS. Soon after that my grandmother bought me a mono cassette player/recorder for Christmas (God bless her). The first cassette I ever owned was Gene Simmons' solo album.

B000001ELD.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And the rest, as they say 'is history'.

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 37
Chinese pop music.
icon10.gif
I loved that stuff back in the 80s and 90s. My favorites were themesongs to movies and tv series. I found that unlike American movies the songs in Hong Kong movies were usually well placed and left a lasting impression on me even after the movie was over. Some off the top of my head are: Chinese Ghost Story, Rogue, Moment of Romance, Aces Go Places, The Swordsmen, Condor Heroes... the list goes on.
icon10.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 37
Michael Jackson, late 70's-early 80's.
Nothing got my 10 yr. old *ss dancing in front of the mirror quite like "Thriller".
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back