Music with English Horn
Jan 15, 2007 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
Please recommend some classical music compositions that emphasize an English Horn. I heard English Horn/Piano duets played in a concert given at our local library, and I found the sound of the English horn to be magical.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm assuming you already have this, but one of the most beautiful moments in the history of music is the english horn solo in the Largo movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony. Alas, it's only a few minutes long.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I am of no help. There are plenty of Oboe Concertos, with the oboe being a fairly close cousin of the english horn.

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 14
But alas, no English horn concertos that I could find.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming you already have this, but one of the most beautiful moments in the history of music is the english horn solo in the Largo movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony. Alas, it's only a few minutes long.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I am of no help. There are plenty of Oboe Concertos, with the oboe being a fairly close cousin of the english horn.

Jan 15, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 14
Look for music that just says "horn" or "natural horn", not English or French horn. The same music can be played by all of them, and depending on the musician, any of the 3 different types are used. After you find the music, it will tell you which horn the soloist is using. Btw, the French horn is considered the most difficult of all the instruments of the orchestra. It's also the easiest one to mess up on. Josef Haydn wrote a concerto for horn that might be a good starting point.

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 14
second on mozart horn concertos -- beautiful.

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 14
Another Hands-up for Mozart's Horn Concertos: this recording is superb and comes with generous extras, totalling over 80 minutes.

Richard Strauss has two wonderful Horn Concertos. Other Horn music that I admire greatly include Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings by Benjamin Britten, and Sonata for Four Horns by Michael Tippett.

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, all. And, Bunny, special thanks for your detailed explanation. I always learn alot from you postings.

Your welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, I actually like the Haydn horn concertos better than the Mozart, expecially when played on natural horn.

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Thank you for the recommendations. I just ordered the Mozart recording.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another Hands-up for Mozart's Horn Concertos: this recording is superb and comes with generous extras, totalling over 80 minutes.

Richard Strauss has two wonderful Horn Concertos. Other Horn music that I admire greatly include Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings by Benjamin Britten, and Sonata for Four Horns by Michael Tippett.

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 14
Can you recommend a recording?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, I actually like the Haydn horn concertos better than the Mozart, expecially when played on natural horn.

Jan 20, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 14
I am confused - the English Horn or Cor Anglais is a double reed woodwind instrument related to the oboe in sound. The French horn is a brass instrument that doesn't sound at all like an English horn. Which did the original poster mean? If it is the former then the Dvorak symphony would be a good example of a cor anglais solo and the Mozart horn concertos would not!

Because of the rarity of cor anglais use in a solo fashion I am struggling to think of many examples at all. Here are 3 I can think of:
Sibelius - Swan of Tuonela owes its atmosphere to the Cor Anglais
Haydn - Symphony 22 (The Philosopher) has very extended and haunting use of the instrument
Berlioz - Harold in Italy uses it if I remember correctly.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 14
Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 14
Ravel piano concerto,second movement.Donizetti has an english horn concerto.Paul Hindemith has a sonata with piano,and Beethoven has a nice trio with two oboes.In many Shostakovich symphonies you find looong EH solos...Richard Strauss' "Ein Heldenleben","Alpensinfonie",and some Mahler songs with orchestra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back