Music wireless across computer network
Apr 17, 2003 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

grancasa

100+ Head-Fier
What I'd like to be able to do is walk around my house with my META42, headphones, and some small device, and listen to music off of my computer. How would I do this?

One thought was to stream my MP3's over Shoutcast to a website, then use a PDA to access to website via 802.11b and listen that way. What other options do I have using 802.11b??

Apr 17, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 5
I've heard that Griffin offers an fm transceiver for the iPod, which one might be able to modify for your purpose. I don't see the sense in using any bulky and battery intensive computer networking solution here, actually...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Excuse me, it's not a set, but a a transmitter only. Called iTrip, costs US$ 35...

Apr 22, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 5
Why don't you just build (or buy) a rf transmitter and reciever? You could even build an amp into the reciever and only have to walk around with one box strapped to your hip. I'm pretty sure there are some decent rf kits out there that'll do what you want, and streaming from shoutcast seems like a going to a lot more trouble than you need to.

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 5
if you really REALLY want to do this.............. well, i would recommend you go to Guitar Center and pick up a transmitter similar to what Lando recommended. GC will be happy to sell you one, as the good ones are not cheap. but if Britney Spears can fly around stage and still sound good with one of these things, it is more than capable of handling your short strolls around your house.

i wanted to buy one myself to remotely secretly record various conversations.... say, wearing the transmitter in your pocket, then picking up the signal on your car, storing it on DAT or something like that. .......hmmm..... maybe i shouldn't give you any ideas though....
very_evil_smiley.gif

...but don't attempt to try to make bootleg concert tapes this way.... yes, people do.... but your transmitter will interfere with the production's transmitter. i heard that on one big concert, more than 2000 frequencies were used for transmitters.... and the chances of you interfering with one is very high..... and if you get caught... that wouldn't be good.

anyway...................... expect to pay crap loads for a good remote system. and for a very high quality one (one that wouldn't compromise your high-end headphone sound,) more than your headphone system is worth.

Apr 22, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 5
If you want to go the wireless network route, there is software that will allow you to control winamp or the like from somewhere else on a LAN, such as a laptop or pda. If you are still looking at doing it this way let me know and I can try to find the software.
-Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back