music videos...
Aug 23, 2004 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Reck45

100+ Head-Fier
What are some good music videos? I have a decent collection but they are starting to get old. I'm not really into the whole shallow rock thing, if you get my meaning. I like stuff that has some depth and sounds good.
icon10.gif

Some of my favorite stuff is by the red hot chilli peppers,some cranberries,nirvana etc. None of that silly rap crap.
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 20
I've always found the videos for Aphex Twin to be interesting. I have no idea if you'd like his music though.

Aug 23, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 20
Look for videos directed by the following:

Michel Gondry - Gondry has handled the likes of Bjork, Cibbo Matto, and Daft Punk. Quite an impressive array of videos, which usually are matched with excellent music. His recent work also includes the Charlie Kauffman movie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Spike Jonze - Jonze has also handled videos for Bjork and Daft Punk, and is also the directorial strangeness behind a different Charlie Kauffman movie named Being John Malkovich. His work is equally as stunning as Gondry's.

Chris Cunningham - Another director who has handled a video to go along with Bjork's music, Chris Cunningham has quite an interesting vision. I particularly like his efforts in Bjork's "All Is Full of Love" and also his handling of Aphex Twin's "Come to Daddy".

You can find individual compilations of these 3 directors works available on DVD, which I highly recommend.

Oh, I've also got a soft spot for Weird Al, the Bee Girl (Blind Melon), the Beastie Boys, Busta Rhymes, and Radiohead. But those are all pretty standard, and you've probably already got them. I've also got a growing collection, and there are too many classics to name. But if you're looking to fill some holes I might have some suggestions.

Aug 23, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan
Spike Jonze

One word: Sabotage. Oh well, two words to go with it: Beastie Boys.

If you haven't you should check Pepe Deluxe's Salami Fever. Fat Boy Slim's music videos are mostly very good too.

Aug 23, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 20
A classic IMO is Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer, the dancing chickens are among the funniest things I've ever seen. His Steam video's pretty nice too, but not at the same level as Sledgehammer.

I also love R.E.M.'s black & white videos, they have a timeless and sometimes haunting quality to them. My faves are Talk about the Passion, Fall on me, and Man on the Moon.

Sarah McLachlan's videos are nice too, but make sure you get the Canadian versions instead of the American ones which have no nudity and suck ass. Standouts are Path of Thorns, Good Enough, and Hold On.

Then there's Chantal Kreviazuk's Wayne and Before You videos, but I have no clue where you're gonna find them other than on some peer sharing network.

Aug 23, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 20
Music Videos with a bit more "depth"

UNKLE - RABBIT IN YOUR HEADLIGHTS: One of my personal faves...

AIR - CHERRY BLOSSOM GIRL: Depressing

MASSIVE ATTACK - SPECIAL CASES: Eerie and disturbing

DJ SHADOW - SIX DAYS: Something all guys can probably relate to

RADIOHEAD - JUST: Maybe tries a little too hard, but still very good

RADIOHEAD - KARMA POLICE: Sooner or later it'll catch up to you...

VERVE, THE - ON YOUR OWN: Very Melancholy.

RAPTURE, THE - HOUSE OF JEALOUS LOVERS: Very cool.

SPIRITUALIZED - DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN: How I spend my days...

MASSIVE ATTACK - KARMACOMA: Bizarre (based on The Shining I believe)

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 20
Any others? Man I think I found a new favorite. It's "the zephyr song" by the RHCP. Awesome you have ta get that. I'm in no danger of loosing money cause I always sample before I buy.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 20
Absolutely agree w/ Beastie Boys, Sabotage and So What'cha Want? are two of my favorite music videos. Other good ones are Lit - My Own Worst Enemy (I love the cheesy, retro bowling alley setting), Jewel - Intuition (whether you like the song or not, the parody of typical rap videos is hysterical), and the Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue - Where The Wild Roses Grow video is very stylish.

Aug 24, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 20
Pick up the Rattle & Hum video by U2. It follows them on tour and is live video, after live video, of great music. I know this isnt what your talking about but if you like to watch while your listening this is a GREAT way to spend a couple hours.

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 20
music vidoes, huh? THE CURE. *surprise surprise*

seriously, disregarding the first few early vidoes, satrting from 1982's "Let's Go To Bed," The Cure has made some brilliant, zany, off the wall videos, each one more crazier than the previous. one would not expect a gloom and doom band like The Cure to have so much humour! from this point on up to 1992's "A Letter to Elise," all their videos were directed by the same person, Tim Pope.

most memorable ones:
Let's Go to Bed - Robert Smith dressed like some weird, grown up child with spiky hair and make-up, Lol Tolhurst with his awful, disco dancing, and funny antics all around, especially the end sequence with the bunk bed.

The Lovecats - furry felines roaming all around the set, and the band sans Robert dressed in huge cat costumes.

Close to Me - all five band members trapped in a tiny wardrobe plummeting down a huge cliff to fall into the ocean! got banned by the BBC because everyone thought children who saw the video would do the same thing!
eek.gif

Why Can't I Be You? - Robert dressed in an huge, furry bear costume, drummer Boris Williams as a vampire, bassist Simon Gallup in an awful tuxedo, guitarist Porl Thompson in a skimpy skirt, and Lol Tolhurst as a bumblebee! thank it couldn't get worse? they all *TRY* to dance in unison, and fail miserably! BLOODY AWFUL!!! BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!
icon10.gif

Just Like Heaven - melancholy and beautiful, band plays at Beachy Head, same cliff as "Close to Me," while Robert dances with then childhood sweetheart now wife Mary.

Lullaby - Robert gets eaten by a "spiderman" while lying in a web-strewn bed. really cool looking set, costumes, and images, especially the gigantic clock, the kitchen sink, and the "spiderman" in the corner.

Never Enough - The Cure in a freakshow!

Friday I'm in Love - random zanyness while The Cure plays...

that was fun... i think i'll watch some videos now.

EDIT: i also second U2's "Rattle and Hum." it's a brilliant documentary, and chock full of great live performances and outtakes.

Aug 25, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 20
Ok going to check it out...some of those you guys suggested though really suck.

Another dvd you should pickup btw( i'm watching it now) is Sade Live. It's extremlely well recorded as well...even if you're not a fan of that kind of music you'll love it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back