Music to test to
Jul 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ducks_own

100+ Head-Fier
Here's a question,

When you buy a new set of phones, do you gravitate to a particular song/album to try them out?

For both pairs that I have, the first album I tried them with was BT's "This Binary Universe". It's some really great electronic, and it has lots of intricacies that I like to listen for.

P.S. I really hope that I put this in the right section :S

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 11
I use Rage Against the Machines debut album to test out all my headphones.

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 11
hmm, i think the first album i listen to on my new iems will be wish you were here or electric ladyland XD

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Rage Against the Machines debut album to test out all my headphones.

x2 I go straight to that album. It's amazingly recorded.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 11
Not really.
I listen to albums I know well, and that are well recorded/mastered. Pink Floyd, Øystein Sevåg, Nils Lofgren, ...

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 11
If the question is what music do I christen new headphones with for the first listen? Then the answer is Pink Floyd. Always Pink Floyd, either "The Wall" or "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Animals". Whichever one I'm more in the mood for. It's a ritual thing.

If the question is what music do I use to demo headphones with at a meet or at a shop, then it is music that is a representative sample of what I normally listen to. That covers quite a range from acoustic, electric blues, old school hard rock, classic rock, jazz, symphonic classical, pipe organ, modern rock, and more. It is impossible to listen to all of that in a short amount of time. So I have to pick and choose well recorded pieces that attempt to cover that range of music.

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 11
I put on a custom remaster I have of Frank Sinatra's Songs For Swingin' Lovers. The version I have is from a mint gray label Hollywood pressing devoid of fake echo and fake reverb. However, there is some natural reverb on the recording (you can actually hear the studio walls). On high resolution speakers and headphones, you can hear it very clearly. On less resolving systems the recording sounds drier than what it actually is.

I have tons of demo tracks, but that Sinatra is my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back