Music that's better on headphones
Oct 8, 2008 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

krisjan

100+ Head-Fier
Thought I'd start a thread helping people to discover music that's actually composed for headphones, or simply sound better headphones, when compared to speakers. I hope to discover some myself through your suggestions...

First off, what type of music would one expect to be better suited to headphones? I still enjoy the bit of writing by headroom in their section 'the headphone as reference': The Headphone as Reference - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
Detail resolution - i am well aware of this when i edit/compose music on my daw - you would work on speakers - do some cross-fades and cuts and then at some point when you don your headphones you become aware of all these sloppy clicks where zero-crossings are not properly hit, etc. So music with exceptionally quiet detail, etc. would be, i think, better to listen to on headphones.
Secondly - that special type of spatialisation involving binaural or hrtf-transformed compositions - we have two ears, and from these two alone we get our entire spatialisation of sound - we hear in 3d through time delay and sound absorption, etc. by our physiology causing a slightly different soundstream to reach one hearing mechanism from the other. So, the logic then is, that if we could record, or simulate recording a source with the microphones at the position of the ears - if this recording is played back with HEADPHONES - we will get a very realistic '3d' rendition of the source. Unfortunately everybodies physiology is different so in practice it is not always so effective - but i think, from the recordings i've heard, still pretty darn good...this type of recording is ideal on headphones - on speakers these recordings are often problematic due to phase cancellation effects etc.

so to get to the point - i base my suggestions on what i heard on my senn hd595 vs some magna planars and acoustats - my suggestions would be:
1. Richard Chartier (Richard Chartier) - in terms of minimal detail, i think the resolution of headphones trump speakers on this one...specially try the album entitled 'of surfaces'
2. gordon hempton (Sound Tracker) - great binaural recordings of some exotic locations where few human beings have ventured. On headphones this sounds absolutely superb - haven't heard a speaker set that can beat it. hempton uses the very best equipment in his recordings...
3. roger reynolds' album process and passion (Process and Passion:: Roger Reynolds:: POGUS CD 21031-2) - very interesting comparison where the same material is presented on two discs - one with standard stereo rendition and one with binaural (i presume hrtf function used because the instruments sometimes slide from one position to another - couldn't have been part of the performance lol)

k - pls let me have your suggestions

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 9
-All of Byron Metcalf's 'Hemi-Sync' albums - great tribal beats mixed with ambient, specially mixed for headphones
-Shpongle - All 3 albums - This one is debatable, as Shpongle can sound superb on a good speaker setup, but the same level of detail can be achieved on almost any decent headphones, no high-end needed.
-Matt Hillier's music (Ishq, Ishvara, Elve, Colourform, Indigo Egg) - Psychedelic textural ambient that just has so much detail that no speakers I've heard can render them properly.
-All of the I-Doser 'doses - These 'soundscapes' (if you will) are intended to replicate the effects on the brain of various chemicals. They are mixed on and for headphones.

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 9
I was surprised to find Meshuggah's ObZen sounds better through headphones than speakers in my experience...

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Trance

Trance music can be enjoyed best on headphones.

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-All of the I-Doser 'doses - These 'soundscapes' (if you will) are intended to replicate the effects on the brain of various chemicals. They are mixed on and for headphones.

Not to get too far off-topic, but do these actually do anything, or are they just interesting on headphones?

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bungle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to get too far off-topic, but do these actually do anything, or are they just interesting on headphones?

haha - yes these look interesting...i listened to a sample or two, and i think it's more like trying to tell someone how you feel when you "use" the chemicals - the bit i heard certainly didn't "affect" me in any way
-----------------------------------> edit
ok - sorry just read some more on it and it is indeed supposed to induce some kind of state...some say it "works"...but shucks why use drugs, which is supposed to induce a negative effect? don't get that...why not rather health, invigoration, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back