Aug 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

anirudh0802

100+ Head-Fier

Hmmm, have you guys seen this chart?! 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 37
?_?'

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 37
I remember reading this somewhere, and my opinion still stands that the chart in question is a bunch of bogus propaganda created by a biased person whose personal preferences can be seen in the chart.

Aug 24, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 37
I like it, but only because I prefer the music on the right side over the music on the left. 

How was this determination made by Virgil Grffith?  How large was his sample size, how did he confirm the SAT scores (which aren't necessarily the best indicators of intelligence anyway), and does he really expect people to believe that fans of Beethoven are smarter than fans of Lil' Wayne? 
biggrin.gif
 I couldn't resist. 

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 37
Wow! That's amazingly stupid. 
rolleyes.gif

Classical on one side and Beethoven on the other. Whaaaa?

Funny though.

shane

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 37

Quote:
correlation=/=causation

Ditto. The music DOES NOT necessarily make people intelligent or dumb, but "intelligent"/educated people and "dumb" (I prefer "more susceptible to pop culture and peer pressure") people tend to gravitate towards certain musicians and music types. I can't imagine someone who shoots through a car window with the gun held sideways listening to Mozart, and vice versa, I can't imagine someone from Oxford to consider it "freedom of speech" and "liberty, equality, and fraternity" to have a huge rear end sitting on a Bentley's equally massive hood.

Hell, he doesn't even have a stated quantitative and statistical method for how he got the scores for each. Would have been easier if the research question was, "How does educational attainment affect musical preferences?" and take a group of 30-60 year olds, with varying diplomas (only HS, Bachelor's Degree, Post-Grad, MD/LLB, MA/MS/MBA, PhD/DL), and whether they have solid plans to get a higher degree (to control for early-30yo's who obviously generally might just be getting their MA/MS/MBA's, and minimize the generation gap variable.) They'll answer a general survey mapping out their preferences and then some will be selected for a more in-depth focus group discussion to map out how their preferences were shaped by: peer and family preferences, and for the older folks, how many and who among the younger generation's musicians/singers they listen to and why.

I should have gone into Sociology; what am I doing in Political Science and International Relations?!

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #13 of 37
I've always felt that the way you listen to music is more important than the type of music you listen to.

That said, bands like Crass are challenging and thought-provoking, and a nice break from the unending loop of love songs we hear on commercial radio.  But asking the right questions means as much as choosing the right music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back