Music that makes you cry?
Jul 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 241

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just listening to We Are The World, and then Ave Maria as a piano-violin duet, and now I'm wondering, what piece or song makes YOU blubbery?

Oh, Yesterday also does it for me.

Suggestions of Classical are a bonus since I own very little of that (unfortunately)

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 241
I'll  be the first to admit, "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler.  Also, "When I Dream" by Carol Kidd (from the motion picture Shiri soundtrack). Add "Before you were Born" by Toad the Wet Sprocket and "Silent Lucidity" by Queensryche.

A few more, "The Living Years" Mike and the Mechanics, "Fell into the Lonliness" Lori Carson.

The soundtrack piece played in "Platoon" where Willem Dafoe is running in slow motion through the jungle, takes a dozen bullets before falling to his knees with arms high up in hopes to be picked up by the US chopper that flies away.

"Elevator Beat" by Nancy Wilson from the Vanilla Sky sound track.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 241
Mozart - Finale of 41st Symphony, adagio from Piano Concerto #23, Adagio from Clarinet Concerto, Dove Sono and Contessa, Perdono from Le Nozze di Figaro
Beethoven - Finale of 9th Symphony, 3rd Movement from String Quartet #15
Mahler - Finale of 2nd Symphony, I Am Lost to the World
Purcell - When I Am Laid in Earth
Satie - Trois Gymnopedies
Schumann - Wie aus der Ferne

Bob Dylan - Every Grain of Sand, Delia, One Too Many Mornings, Sara, Most of the Time
The Gathering - Rescue Me, You Learn About It, Home
Richie Sambora - Harlem Rain
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
Queen - Who Wants to Live Forever
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Radiohead - Let Down
Billie Holiday - Gloomy Sunday
Sarah McLachlan - Angel
Judy Garland - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 241
Wow, quite the post!
  Thank you!

I definitely agree about Wish You Were Here. That song is so beautiful...

Mozart - Finale of 41st Symphony, adagio from Piano Concerto #23, Adagio from Clarinet Concerto, Dove Sono and Contessa, Perdono from Le Nozze di Figaro
Beethoven - Finale of 9th Symphony, 3rd Movement from String Quartet #15
Mahler - Finale of 2nd Symphony, I Am Lost to the World
Purcell - When I Am Laid in Earth
Satie - Trois Gymnopedies
Schumann - Wie aus der Ferne

Bob Dylan - Every Grain of Sand, Delia, One Too Many Mornings, Sara, Most of the Time
The Gathering - Rescue Me, You Learn About It, Home
Richie Sambora - Harlem Rain
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
Queen - Who Wants to Live Forever
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Radiohead - Let Down
Billie Holiday - Gloomy Sunday
Sarah McLachlan - Angel
Judy Garland - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

I haven't seen Platoon yet (don't worry I don't care about spoilers) but I'm definitely going to now. That sounds awesome.

I'll  be the first to admit, "wind beneath my wings" by Bette Midler.  Also, "when I dream" by Carol Kidd (from the motion picture Shiri soundtrack).

The soundtrack piece played in "Platoon" where Willem Dafoe is running in slow motion through the jungle, takes a dozen bullets before falling to his knees with arms high up in hopes to be picked up by the US chopper that flies away.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #8 of 241
I love music but music rarely makes me teary-eyed. Granted, there have been many soundtracks that have made my eyes watery, but soundtracks are a bit of a special case because they are often composed with the specific intent to make the listener feel certain emotions. Naturally soundtracks can also be a bit difficult to listen to without thinking of the scenes each track was composed for, which adds a component regular music doesn't have to the listening experience.

Below is a track that is one of the very few that has made cry for real. When I say real I don't mean that my eyes got a little watery; I'm talking about crying uncontrollably, having to go blow my nose afterwards, and going through a cool-down period before I'm back to normal again. Sorry about the sound quality, but this is the only video I've found on YouTube. I might post some other examples later on, but that remains to be seen.

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 241
Don Mclean - American Pie (A song about one of the worst musical tragedies ever.)

Phil Collins - You'll Be in My Heart (More my girlfriend. She crys every single time she hears it)

Those are the big 2.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 241
For some reason probably due to stress buildup or so from work this week, coming home and listening to Moby - 18.....I emotionally broke down towards the end. Hard to tell why. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 241
Most of the album Hospice by The Antlers, specifically Epilouge

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwkbRVqqxU[/VIDEO]

And a couple songs from the album Loveless by My Bloody Valentine

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHS1sbV5xw[/VIDEO]

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #14 of 241

When I purchased the soundtrack and listened through it the first time, this track brought a lot of memories to the surface, and yes I think I might have cried a little or probably more than a little to be honest. Mass Effect 3 was one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had, and I hardly even enjoy the combat aspect of the game, which takes up a huge portion of the gameplay.

As a side note I still think that the first game has the best soundtrack in the series. It's quite well mastered too.

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #15 of 241
Another classical rec: Strauss' Four Last Songs. Literally the final pieces composed by Richard (not Johann the waltz-man) Strauss at age 84 and premiered after his death, they deal with acceptance of death and feature gorgeous soprano lines over lush orchestral accompaniment. Absolutely gorgeous. My favorite is Beim Schlagengehen, starting at 9:10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back