Music streaming services.... which ones do you use?
Sep 19, 2011 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm trying to figure out which services are worth messing with. I'm somewhat familiar with MOG, Last.FM, Pandora, Spotify, Google music beta, and GrooveShark. Which ones of those do you like to use, and why? Or which ones am I missing from this list? 

I'm actually more concerned with the ones that have apps for my Android-based phone, but there will be some home use as well. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 20
You should give di.fm at try for all your ebm music needs. They have 30+ channels of different genres so there is something for everyone.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 20
I love Spotify, well worth $10 a month (you can get it free with ads, $5 a month for double the bitrate and unlimited listening or $10 a month to get it on your smartphone, I use it on my iPhone every time I'm in the car) the sound quality is really good for a streaming service (~320kbps Ogg Vorbis) and it's pretty much just like listening to a 320kbps MP3. I've sent out every invite they've given me (I think 14 so far) and everyone I invited says they love it too.

The catalog is pretty good, I'd say 9/10 for music I listen to but overall it's more like 8/10 since it's missing a few huge names like Led Zeppelin, Tool, Metallica (off the top of my head) so I would advise you to try the free version for a few weeks and see if it has all the music you want.

I can't stand Pandora, I want a lot more control over the music I listen to so Spotify works for me but if you want a radio-like experience, Pandora is pretty great.

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 20
Unfortunately Spotify is US based and if you live outside it borders you can't get it.

I've signed up for Naxos Music Library because I love classical music.

Quote:
I love Spotify, well worth $10 a month (you can get it free with ads, $5 a month for double the bitrate and unlimited listening or $10 a month to get it on your smartphone, I use it on my iPhone every time I'm in the car) the sound quality is really good for a streaming service (~320kbps Ogg Vorbis) and it's pretty much just like listening to a 320kbps MP3. I've sent out every invite they've given me (I think 14 so far) and everyone I invited says they love it too.

The catalog is pretty good, I'd say 9/10 for music I listen to but overall it's more like 8/10 since it's missing a few huge names like Led Zeppelin, Tool, Metallica (off the top of my head) so I would advise you to try the free version for a few weeks and see if it has all the music you want.

I can't stand Pandora, I want a lot more control over the music I listen to so Spotify works for me but if you want a radio-like experience, Pandora is pretty great.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 20
Thanks for the replies everyone! I had not heard of di.fm and had forgotten all about Naxos. This is helpful info. 

Do you guys use these on the go through your smartphone, or primarily at home? I find it interesting that some of them want to give away their app, others only allow paid users to have access, and some don't even have an app but work through your browser.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 20
Unfortunately Spotify is US based and if you live outside it borders you can't get it.

I've signed up for Naxos Music Library because I love classical music.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Spotify was actually Europe based, and came out in Europe years before it did in the US. At any rate I love it! It won't replace my local collection but its good when I am using a laptop and don't want to drag around my external drive with my music on it. Also you can use proxy to get it to work in any country though I am not sure this complies with the terms of service.

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I had not heard of di.fm and had forgotten all about Naxos. This is helpful info. 

Do you guys use these on the go through your smartphone, or primarily at home? I find it interesting that some of them want to give away their app, others only allow paid users to have access, and some don't even have an app but work through your browser.

Last.fm I seldom use anymore.  Pandora mostly home (blu-ray player can stream it & PC)....Now MOG, I use everywhere (PC, iPhone, iPad, iTouch)...If I am going to pay monthly, I have to make it worthwhile...lol...Their new desktop client is ready for MAC and hopefully soon for PC.  Their desktop client is not bad now, though the new one looks much better.  They don't have a specific iPad app yet either, though the iPhone one x2 looks good.  I personally really like MOG and their playlist creation options and their catalog is huge and all 320kbps.

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #12 of 20
Project86:

Not sure if you frequent Computer Audiophile, but Chris did a 2 part series on Spotify and MOG.  I use Spotify today and can tell you lots of stuff is presented as low bit rate files and sounds pretty poor.  MOG on the other had seems to offer most files at higher rates.

After you read his article I think it would be clear which to choose.  

I listen so infrequently that Spotify (free version) is doing just fine to demo albums that I may wish to buy and rip.

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 20
Mog for me. I love the iPhone app. I do at least 80% of my music listening with Mog.

I have used Rdio and Rhapsody in the past as well, and I think Mog is the best. I never tried Spotify, but I read a good detailed comparison of Mog vs Spotify and Mog won. I dont remember what the source was, but Mog killed it.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Mog for me. I love the iPhone app. I do at least 80% of my music listening with Mog.

I have used Rdio and Rhapsody in the past as well, and I think Mog is the best. I never tried Spotify, but I read a good detailed comparison of Mog vs Spotify and Mog won. I dont remember what the source was, but Mog killed it.

I left my several year relationship with Rhapsody for MOG.  Spotify does not offer 320kbps to the iPhone which was a big deal for me since I use Airplay around the house. I also use Pandora's free version occasionally, but since getting MOG and their slider for more or less of the main artist, I have less need for Pandora.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back