Music Streamer on the cheap
Jan 16, 2016 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rOAdeh

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm just setting up a new system and the final piece of the puzzle is how to get my music streaming to it. I've read around a bit here, but haven't really found a similar scenario that replicates what I want.

I'm techy enough to be happy setting up/configuring something, but definitely want an easy interface to playback music from a phone, so that others can use it, all whilst keeping the price down. Obviously audio quality is key too, but I just want to ensure it's got bit perfect playback

My setup is like this:

1) Music is stored on a HDD plugged into my router. Presumably it is shared using DLNA, but I might be able to do a SMB share if necessary, so I don't need onboard storage. I currently have a mixture of MP3s and ALAC files, but would transcode the ALACs to FLAC if necessary. I do have some high resolution files (24bit/96khz), but if that will increase costs significantly, then I'm not that fussed about needing to play them remotely
2) Music is also going to be streamed from Spotify for non-critical listening
3) The streamer will be plugged into a Chord Hugo.. Not too fussed on what connection method (USB/Optical/Coaxial are all fine). This means that I don't need a fancy DAC built in which should keep costs down
4) Ideally it should be something I can leave running 24/7.. Preferably low power just to be environmentally friendly
5) It would be nice if there was a display on the streamer that allows me to select music without using my phone (this is optional though and I'll sacrifice it to keep the cost down)
6) Similarly it would be nice if I can control the volume from the software for non critical listening (as the Hugo doesn't have a remote), but again not mandatory

Has anyone got any thoughts? I would have guessed an old Squeezebox might be OK, but since I don't have a device to run as the server, then that might not work. I do currently have an AppleTV 2nd gen, WD media player and first gen Chromecast lying around that I could scavenge if needed.

Happy to spend a couple of hundred bucks, but as I said the cheaper the better..

Cheers,

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 7
I was kicking around the same idea.  I have been using a DAP, but thought about a Sonos, or something similar.  I ran across these Grace Digital Internet Radio's.  They have line out for a headphone amp.  They just aren't high resolution, though they do play FLAC and other lossless files.  There's also an app that controls the radio, but it gets bad reviews and is no longer updated by Grace Digital.

https://gracedigital.com/shop/encore/

For some reason, I want a box with line out that can use an app to view the files on a tablet or phone, but shared from my Mac.  If I get new music on my Mac, I have to bring the DAP in and plug it in to put the new files on the player.  Also, I would like to stream Amazon Prime music occasionally.  I like the idea of the Sonos, but everything is expensive.

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 7
Ever thought about a raspberry pi? Spent under £40 on the board, PSU and case, downloaded Moode audio player to a micro SD card and is easily controlled through any browser, but there are also mpd app's to control it. The whole thing streams FLAC files from my server into a HRT MusicStreamer 2 USB DAC.

I got to be honest, this has surprised me how good it sounds!

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Ever thought about a raspberry pi? Spent under £40 on the board, PSU and case, downloaded Moode audio player to a micro SD card and is easily controlled through any browser, but there are also mpd app's to control it. The whole thing streams FLAC files from my server into a HRT MusicStreamer 2 USB DAC.

I got to be honest, this has surprised me how good it sounds!

Thanks, that's a good idea, except I don't have a DAC yet.  I do have a HP Stream PC that I could use if I were to get a DAC.  I'd like for it to be headless, so don't want a keyboard, mouse, or display.  I'll look for remote media center software as well.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 7
Have a look on the auction sites for a secondhand USB DAC to keep costs down. I paid £50 for my HRT MusicStreamer 2.

My raspberry pi is running headless.

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 7
I actually ended up going with a Chromecast Audio; as I can pull down my FLACs from my NAS using BubbleUPNP on my phone and can also allow other people to easily connect to it to stream Spotify at parties etc.. I've heard some mixed reports about sound quality, but hopefully firmware updates will fix that (plus I've already seen some evidence it's bit perfect, and can allow my DAC to do any jitter correction etc).

A Raspberry Pi is my backup option if the SQ proves not to be great. However, the UI looked a little clunky to me (some of the app reviews were fairly negative in this respect); so I'll see how I go and weigh up my options..

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm using MuPeace on my Nexus 7 for controlling it, also use the browser. I've not had any issues so far. If you're on the iPad, check out mPad. Good luck with the Chromecast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back