Music Streamer II - Good for me?
Aug 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ProcessJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
I'm starting to feel deeply in love with the Audiophile world, specially with the Head-Fi community, and i'm slowly climbing my way on the bankcrupcy mountain.

I just got my first pair of quality cans, (SR60i) and i'm ready for the next step, but i have a few problems, first, i live in Brazil, so my options are limited (very limited) and i don't have a credit card, so i can't shop overseas.

I listen to music mostly on my computer, onboard soundcard (mostly good quality MP3 and a few FLAC, i'm still ripping my cds with EAC) and i though that a DAC would be the most obvious next step, but i'm nothing compared to you guys, so here's the deal:

I have a local store that is selling the Music Streamer II, the price is a stab to the heart, bus as i was saying, i don't have many choices to choose from. It's a good next step? Will i hear a major sound improvement with the Grados without an amp? or shoud i consider buying a decent soundboard? (i would had much more model choices on that)

Any help would be great.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
What about the Soundblaster X-fi models? I can get then at a reasonable price around here.

They aren't designed specifically for headphone audio playback, like an external amp/DAC or some Xonar cards are. They don't have powerful amps built in, so I don't know how well they drive headphones. It won't matter with the Grados because they're pretty sensitive and have low impedance, but it might matter when you decide to get new headphones. They have pretty high quality DACs though.

I would normally recommend the Xonar Essence STX because I love it and it's possibly the best "value" under $200, but it has a high output impedance which will (I think) boost your mid-bass. Objectively that's a bad thing, but if you feel kick drums and bass guitar is lacking you might like it. It's not like Grados are the epitome of neutrality to begin with 
biggrin.gif

As you might see from my signature, I think this card is a good future investment, too. It will drive most headphones to a plenty high volume. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #7 of 12
I' m not really looking for a volume boost, my ears are pretty sensitive to high volume and my family really hate the open sound design of the Grados, as my computer is at the living room of our house, i'm looking for something that can output a bit perfect sound other than my crappy onboard soundcard.

I've found a I've found a Asus Xonar Dx - Oem - 7.1 - 116db at a local online store and the price is in my bugdet. What do you think?  
Quote:
They aren't designed specifically for headphone audio playback, like an external amp/DAC or some Xonar cards are. They don't have powerful amps built in, so I don't know how well they drive headphones. It won't matter with the Grados because they're pretty sensitive and have low impedance, but it might matter when you decide to get new headphones. They have pretty high quality DACs though.

I would normally recommend the Xonar Essence STX because I love it and it's possibly the best "value" under $200, but it has a high output impedance which will (I think) boost your mid-bass. Objectively that's a bad thing, but if you feel kick drums and bass guitar is lacking you might like it. It's not like Grados are the epitome of neutrality to begin with 
biggrin.gif

As you might see from my signature, I think this card is a good future investment, too. It will drive most headphones to a plenty high volume. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 12
A headphone upgrade makes more sense, doesn't it? Getting a dedicated DAC and amp for the SR60's seems rather extreme. (although I haven't tried them myself) 

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 12
Don't you think i would benefit from having a better transport? I connect the Grados straight into my onboard soundcard, the jacks are crap, the volume is pretty low with some sources.

Quote:
A headphone upgrade makes more sense, doesn't it? Getting a dedicated DAC and amp for the SR60's seems rather extreme. (although I haven't tried them myself) 

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Spend the money on a better pair of headphones, there are some options that don't require an amp. I can barely tell the difference between DAC's on the HD 650's. So far my (very limited) experience tells me that the headphones are the most important thing by far. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back