Music Storage
Aug 25, 2019 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ArronZacx

New Head-Fier
I love my digital music collection and don't use streaming services. However, currently I've run out of storage space in my macbook for my music (200+GB and quickly expanding). So I'm just wondering how does the rest of you peeps here store your music?

Aug 25, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #2 of 12
I also have a macbook. I don't store my music in my macbook. Its in a 256gb USB drive. When I want music I just pop it in. I use VLC. Same with my windows laptop, just one usb drive. I have two drives, that's close to 500gb of flac.

I do have backups just in case.

Aug 26, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 12
External hard drives: an ancient 250 GB iomega, plus a Sabrent USB "toaster" that lets me swap drives. I currently have a 120 GB solid state drive in it for music - it's very fast!

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 12
I love my digital music collection and don't use streaming services. However, currently I've run out of storage space in my macbook for my music (200+GB and quickly expanding). So I'm just wondering how does the rest of you peeps here store your music?

I have a custom-build Windows PC, but my case has four hard drive bays inside. I purchased WD Easystore 8TB drives (these contain an 8TB WD Red NAS drive) when they were on sale through Best Buy. All in all, I have around 30TB of hard drive space. I then keep a folder labeled "My Music" and this is where I push all my files into. I then have MusicBee set up to index that folder. I keep lots of other digital files on here as well hence the large amount of disk space. I will probably slowly upgrade them to 10TB WD drives when they fail. On a Mac, I would probably just purchase an external USB hard drive and keep my files on there. You can find a 1 or 2TB external drive these days for cheap.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 12
In the last ten years I’ve collected multiple external hard drives. Still anymore I just think it’s better to buy two 400GB mini sd cards. Mirror them as a backup. They are $54 each on Amazon. You can write to them pretty fast. Also they are well made. The larger cards can come apart. Mechanical drives can fail as they have moving parts. The only issue is they are small and easy to lose?

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-400GB-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B074RNRM2B

7EA82049-35FC-4C87-A87F-0C88E08D49EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 12
External hard drives:Maxtor 500 gb.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 12
In the last ten years I’ve collected multiple external hard drives. Still anymore I just think it’s better to buy two 400GB mini sd cards. Mirror them as a backup. They are $54 each on Amazon. You can write to them pretty fast. Also they are well made. The larger cards can come apart. Mechanical drives can fail as they have moving parts. The only issue is they are small and easy to lose?

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-400GB-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B074RNRM2B

I've been using them for years and they work great. 512gb cards are becoming more popular and they cost around $90 each.

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 12
I store music on my Synology NAS + micro SD card (256 Gb) in DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back