Music storage/sharing/listening/etc. setup?
Aug 18, 2008 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

albinoazian

New Head-Fier
Music storage/sharing/listening/etc. setup?
I am trying to figure out the best solution for my burgeoning flac music collection. Currently I have a MBP, PowerBook, and PowerMac G4 700. The PowerMac has a PATA card and two 200GB HDD and I have a Lacie FW 500GB. Plus, I have a new Apple Airport Extreme base station.

One issue is maintaining both a flac (lossless) collection for home listening and aac for the ipods. Mainly though I am trying to figure out the best music server setup. Since I have the MBP I am thinking of the selling the Powerbook G4 1.5 and getting a mini if they ever get updated. Also, the I have a small 1br/studio apartment and the PowerMac is pretty loud and I have the occasional use for Windows, so I was thinking the Mini and a couple 1TB FireWire drives. One for storage, one to back up.

I'd also like to start having the option for music in the living room and accessed from multiple computers. I also need to improve my listening setup. I have some passable Sennhaiser headphones, but my speaker setup is some old $50 speaker system from Fry's many years ago.

So, how do people store/share/listen/etc.? What is a good setup? I am no super audiophile, but I am more than a casual listener.

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 2
I use a Squeezebox Classic as my primary source. I am a huge fan of the Classic. Alternately is the Logitech Duet. Great music servers with Internet radio capability. The receiver units have analog, Toslink and digital coax outputs for most any setup. You have total access, wirelessly or via hardwire, to your entire music collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back