Music So Good That...
Sep 17, 2006 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CMacDaddy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm an engineering student. I've grown up kinda thinking that business and pleasure are separate, but after listening to some music, I really wonder why. Why can't business and pleasure be one and the same. I've heard people talk about loving work, but I always took that as meaning they didn't hate it. Do people really love their work? Love their work like they love their favorite artist? Go to work and smile as they crack open their first problem? I suppose some people probably do, but most people probably don't.

My point is... What music makes you want to drop the spreadsheet and calculator and pick up a guitar, keyboard, or drumsticks? What music is so good that it makes what you do every day feel like torture?

Maybe I'm on my own here, but when I hear the Ike Reilly Assassination, I feel like I need to grab a glass of whiskey and go have some fun.

When you hear ______, what do you want to do!?

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 9
I've only been working full-time for three months, but so far I honestly enjoy what I do. My alarm goes off at 8 a.m., but by then I'm already wide awake. However, there have been those days where it's not so easy to make it into the office, and on those days, I find myself listening to:

A Perfect Circle - 13th Step
Coldplay - X&Y
Dave Matthews Band - Crash
Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
Nirvana - Unplugged in New York
Tool - Lateralus
Tool - 10,000 Days
William Orbit - Strange Cargo Hinterland

I either completely drop what I'm doing to play some Spider Solitaire, or just stare at the LCD pretending to do work. Eight reasons I wish I was a musician
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't work yet and I'm still a student (17), and as much as I love music, there's no music that takes precedence over my school work. Sure, sometimes I'll procrastinate some homework if I want to fit some music in, but if I'm studying for a test or in the middle of homework, there's no music in the world that'll make me drop what I'm doing just for some the pleasure. I can listen to music any day. I can't say the same for studying for a test or doing homework.

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 9
if i'm scheduled to work @ 7.00, i gotta stay as upbeat as possible. here are a few albums that i'll listen to before heading to work (since i can't listen to music @ work V_V):

SINGLE COLLECTION VOL. 1 -- 宇多田ヒカル
ULTRA BLUE -- 宇多田ヒカル
Super Eurobeat pres. Ayu-Ro Mix: vol 1-3 -- 浜崎あゆみ

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
A Perfect Circle - 13th Step
Coldplay - X&Y
Dave Matthews Band - Crash
Death Cab For Cutie - Plans
Nirvana - Unplugged in New York
Tool - Lateralus
Tool - 10,000 Days
William Orbit - Strange Cargo Hinterland

I either completely drop what I'm doing to play some Spider Solitaire, or just stare at the LCD pretending to do work. Eight reasons I wish I was a musician
smily_headphones1.gif

Ugh...
biggrin.gif
It's not that easy, man. The amount of effort it takes to succeed drains you more than most desk jobs would. But I may have it worse than most - being a producer, I not only perform/compose music for a living, but also have to work creatively with other musicians, and that can give me headaches if they are like most other musicians in this world.

Sep 18, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Ugh...
biggrin.gif
It's not that easy, man. The amount of effort it takes to succeed drains you more than most desk jobs would. But I may have it worse than most - being a producer, I not only perform/compose music for a living, but also have to work creatively with other musicians, and that can give me headaches if they are like most other musicians in this world.

PM me if you think my music taste is bad or is my chosen profession isn't as "draining" as yours. I'm sure you didn't mean to be negative, but I certainly picked up on some undertones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back