Music Server vs. ripped files on a computer? Sonic benefits?
Nov 28, 2018 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rgs9200m

Headphoneus Supremus
As the title says, am I missing something by just using ripped files on my computer as opposed to using a dedicated music server like an Aurender or an Innuos/Zenith?
(FYI, I use a Chord DAVE and a Windows PC with external solid state drives for my music storage.)
Thanks.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 3
Over three years ago, I switched from a MacMini running Audirvana Plus to Aurender - and have never looked back. After years of using various computer-based and device (Squeezebox) servers, the Aurender offered more good things for me than anything else. Such as:
  • Sound quality is paramount, and the Aurender gives me cleaner fuller more enchanting sound vs. the variously buffered USB computers
  • I already used an iPad, so moving to the Aurender Conductor app was no extra cost
  • More so, for machine control and playing music, that app works fine for me
  • I love the way I can integrate my library of 2800 albums on the Aurender's internals drives with streaming albums from Tidal and Qobuz
  • Those 2800 albums are my ripped library, and since the files contain all needed metadata, copying them from computer to Aurender is easy (if time-consuming the first time)
  • I much prefer how the Aurender gives you a clean signal, no upscaling, just the facts m'am - and then lets your DAC of choice do the next step
  • (yes I know there's also the A-10 with its built-in DAC, but OP has a high-quality external DAC that he's not about to abandon...my guess...)
I could go on. And the Aurender has been matched with a Chord DAVE in my system too. I like the way I can try the Aurender N10's multiple outputs with DAVE's multiple inputs. And if you have the single-ouput Aurender N100, well USB input on the DAVE is acknowledged by lots of other crazy-internet-audio-folks as one of its strong inputs.

I have no financial stake in any way with any company mentioned. Just a truly happy music junkie.

Dave, who is looking forward to getting a Chord Hugo M-Scaler to supercharge the DAVE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back