Music Recommendations pls
Feb 18, 2002 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rawhit

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
I'm not very familiar with english music generes/groups as its not my primary language. It would be great if somebody could recommend some groups/songs based on my likings.
I have a relatively small collection of about 250 songs and mainly like Rock and Grunge. Not a diehard fan of any group.

Some of fav songs are Smells like teen spirit, Lithium, Drain You by Nirvana,
Elevation and MI theme by U2, Broken Home by Paparoach, Highway Star by Deep Purple, Hazard by Richard marx.

Are there some similar groups/songs that i should look into?

Also at times after a tiring day I feel like listening to soothing, enveloping music which would help me relax. Any reommendations here?
rolleyes.gif

My current setup is SBLive -> Grado 325

cheers
Rawhit
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 6
get some led zeppelin or black sabbath.

and for the soothing / relaxing music - try cocteau twins 'victorialand', labradford 'fixed:content', maybe my bloody valentine 'loveless' - try listening to some samples via cdnow.com or wherever.

Feb 28, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 6
From what you list... You prabably have Nevermind by Nirvana. You also may like their MTV Unplugged ... acoustic version of several of your favorites. You may also like The Verve .. "Bitter sweet symphony", "Sonnet" Or Blur

For relax .. I always put Kind of Blue (Miles Davis), Somethin' else (Cannonball Adderly), The Koln Concert (Keith Jarrett) These are all album name.

Feb 28, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 6
BTW...
I think this website will interest you.

www.q4music.com

I think they have a taste for music just like you.
Check out their 100 greatest albums and 100 greatest singles under buying guide.

Think about this... their number one album of all time is Nirvana "Nevermind" and all time number one single is "Smell like teen spirit"

At least you will have 100 albums or 100 singles to check out.

Feb 28, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Oh my God! You guys have listed my favorite bands (check profile). I can't say I'm a huge fan of Richard Marx, but a comparable group that I enjoy a lot is Travis - the Invisible Band is a solid cd - really good all around listening. A good garage band that you might love if you can stand the Anglo-centric attitude is The Jam. Good punk band - lots of energy, great hooks, and soul. If you're not too familiar with Western music, then checking out Led Zeppelin is a must. You have no choice!
tongue.gif

favorites from the previously mentioned artists:

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow, You Made Me Realize, Never Say Goodbye, To Here Knows When

Nirvana - Aneurysm, Scentless Apprentice

Verve - Already There, Life's An Ocean - Live version from their video is best, Feel.

... Vervehead.

Mar 1, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 6
guys thanks for your input...
i listened to my friends Led Zeppalin remastered collection and its awesome
will check out the other groups mentioned above also
by the way some songs of Metallica are also superb...
I particularly liked The Unforgiven II and Nothing Else matters

happy listening
Rawhit
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back