music recommendations please
Apr 27, 2008 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Brian loves music

100+ Head-Fier
hey, would love some suggestions...i typical like indie rock - sigur ros, radiohead, bjork, and ratatat are my favs in roughly that order.

here's a bigger list of my favorite artists: Sigur Rós, Radiohead, Thom Yorke, Jonny Greenwood, Bob Dylan, Ratatat, The Knife, Battles, Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Andrew Bird, Elliot Smith, Pink Floyd, Joy Division, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, TV on the Radio, DMB (early), Béla Fleck, Tim Reynolds, Wendy Carlos, George Harrison, R.E.M., Paul Simon, Iron & Wine, Arctic Monkeys, Franz Ferdinand, Deerhoof, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tool, Eric Clapton, Neutral Milk Hotel, Rolling Stones, The Velvet Underground, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The National, Kings of Leon, Pixies, Modest Mouse, Daft Punk, Justice, M.I.A., DJ Shadow, Massive Attack, Portishead, Björk, Múm, Talking Heads, !!!, Asian Dub Foundation, Tangerine Dream, Aphex Twin (early)l, Beirut, Liars, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Holy ****, Royksopp, Explosions in the Sky, Modeselektor, Riceboy Sleeps

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 15
Richard Davies - There's Never Been a Crowd Like This

Really good inventive pop music, great production values, and very nice sound quality. The collaboration with Eric Matthews on the Cardinal record is totally excellent as well, though I'd recommend the original release, not the much louder remaster. Emitt Rhodes had a similar baroque pop record way back in 1970 that is now kind of a classic, though personally, I'd give the edge to Cardinal.

And if you don't know Morphine, Cure For Pain has been one of my favorite listens lately. Almost 15 years old, but still the best. Buena buena buena!

Morphine - Thursday.flac

Richard Davies - Chips Rafferty.flac

and a couple other recent nice sounding ones ...

Sun Kil Moon - Tonight In Bilbao.flac

Nina Nastasia - One Old Woman.flac

Magnolia Electric Co. - Talk To Me Devil, Again.flac

Life Without Buildings - New Town.flac

Electrelane - Bells.flac

get em while ya can

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 15
Dodo's, Son Volt, Rouge Wave, Spoon, Format, Fratelli's, Shins, Editors, Art Brut, And I am sure I will think of more....you seem to have a very similar taste to mine.

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 15
Wow, you have extremely similar tastes to my own. I like/love the majority of the bands you listed.

As for recommendations, I've been listening to a lot of a band called Cloud Cult lately. They're an experimental indie rock band and I've been enjoying them immensely, so given your tastes, I recommend checking them out.

Listen to their new album, Feel Good Ghosts (Tea-Partying Through Tornadoes). It's my favourite album thus far in 2008. It's definitely worth a listen (especially the last 4 tracks).

I can offer many other recommendations but that's first on my list because I've been enjoying that album so much lately.

Next on my list would have to be UNKLE. Given the fact that you like Massive Attack, Portishead, DJ Shadow, and Radiohead, I can't imagine you not liking UNKLE. They're an experimental electronic band with three albums (one hip-hop influenced, one electronic influenced, and one rock influenced) and the band has enlisted many big name guest stars in the past (including Thom Yorke, 3D from Massive Attack, DJ Shadow, Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age, Richard Ashcroft from The Verve etc...) Their second album in particular is really fantastic (Never Never Land, which is their primarily electronic album). I highly recommend them.

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 15
Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual

1-1.jpg

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 15
I also Like most of those bands, so check out the klaxons, crystal castles, hot chip, devandra banhart, sean lennon, metric, sunset rubdown, the unicorns, islands.... just to name a few. also check out obscuresound.com, its a great indie music blog and has tons of great reviews, recomendations, and free douwnloads.

May 6, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 15
May 6, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 15
Wow, I listen to a lot of similar music.

I would recommend: Amon tobin (all his albums are good imo, but I might start with Out from out where and his new album foley room), Lamb - Between darkness and wonder. How about gorillaz - Gorillaz, Demon Days?

I would also strongly recommend Zero7 and Simian mobile disco. Venetian Snares is also very good, might sound a little wierd at first but it grows on you, especially if you like aphex twin. For Venetian Snares I would recommend Rossz Csillag Allat Született and My downfall.

Please tell me how those work for you and I might be able to continue recommendations on the same lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back