Music Quality
Jan 2, 2010 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

freddycycle

New Head-Fier
A question. Which is the better source of headphone music? An average CD player, or mp3 through my laptop?
Thanks
L3000.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 10
Depends on the mp3, the source and chain to your headphones. Even an "average" CD player is probably going to sound better than a low bitrate mp3 out of computer or laptop with a mediocre source and amp (or no amp).

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 10
CD player.
Since it play back 1411kbps PCM audio, while MP3 is 320kbps maximum (lossy).

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CD player.
Since it play back 1411kbps PCM audio, while MP3 is 320kbps maximum (lossy).

CD player might have a crappy dac, though, in which case I think high bit mp3 with good dac/amp is going to sound better. just my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 10
^ Yeah, you are right.
So without knowing the two specific sources there are no way to tell for sure. Cause the hardware make a difference as well, not just the source material.

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the replies. I guess, in the case of the laptop, through the USB with a DAC is better than out of the soundcard.
In the case of the CD player, what is the most important feature that can make one player superior to another?
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 10
it is "likely" though that your cd player will sound better. especially if your mp3s are low quality 128.

now of course if the cd in question was burned from your mp3s. then you might as well just listen from the laptop. but hopefully you knew that already. cuz i'm not going to get myself started again
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by freddycycle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the case of the CD player, what is the most important feature that can make one player superior to another?
biggrin.gif

It is mostly down to the DAC.
That goes regardless if we talk about the DAC built into the CD player, the computer sound card or a standalone external unit.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 10
Computers create a very noisy envoirment for electronics. A standalone player is usually the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back