Music Player Software for macOS Catalina
Oct 27, 2019 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JTori

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

With the release of macOS Catalina, is there a favored music player software? Looking for that which yields the best audio quality.

I was a longtime JRiver user, but experienced issues with playback stopping (ver. 25).

Then, switched to AmarraLuxe, which sounded good but no longer works with Catalina and has a few of its own idiosyncrasies.

Not sure how Apple's Music app stacks up from a sonic perspective.

For info, I'm not interested in streaming; my library consists of roughly 1,200 CDs ripped in AIFF format to my RAID-configured Synology NAS.

Audio chain is an iMac Pro > Benchmark DAC3 > Bottlehead Mainline/Bottlehead Crack with Speedball/Koss ESP950 and various headphones (Focal Clear, ZMF Auteur, Sennheiser HD800S.

So, seeking input from this group.

Best,

Joe.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 16
Visiting the JRiver forum today, I notice that MC25 is now notarized for use with Catalina. Has anyone tried it yet, and can you provide feedback?

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 16
I have been using Audirvana on a new Mac Pro 2013 trash can since mid 2015. Zero issues and total satisfaction right up into the current Catalina OS. There are very regular updates and improvements. Very well supported package. I have a 12" MacBook (2015) as a backup system that runs it as well, again with zero issues. My setup is a Woo Audio WDS-1 into a Woo WA-22 (balanced) and WA-6 with HD800, Focal Elear, Sony MDR-Z7, and Master & Dynamic MH40 headphones. The Apple Music App is OK for casual listening. Audirvana for your rips or better.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 16
just have to say unrelated, i don't like catalina, went back to sahara.

Nov 27, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 16
Sadly, AmarraLuxe, which I spent good money for, doesn't seem to like Mac Catalina. After taking an inordinately long time to scan the media library from my NAS drive, music sounds like it's being played on a tin box. Apple Music (not streamed) sounds better. I'm back to looking for a music player solution that offers good audio quality and plays nice with Catalina. I'm thinking of reinstalling JRiver, which was quitting or dropping out inexplicably, or looking at something like Audirvana. Bottom line is I don't want to throw good money after bad. I just want a piece of software that works! Please share any suggestions on what's working for you.

Thanks, Joe.

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 16
I feel like an outlier here. Am I the only Head-Fi'er using a Mac and streaming my uncompressed, ripped CD library from a NAS? Is there a high-quality software solution I'm not up to speed on (other than streaming services, such as Tidal)? I appreciate any feedback from forum members.

Dec 4, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 16
someone already mentioned audirvana above, why aren't you reading that?

audirvana has everything you need, download the free trial and come back here if it's not working out for you after that to ask more questions.

I feel like an outlier here. Am I the only Head-Fi'er using a Mac and streaming my uncompressed, ripped CD library from a NAS? Is there a high-quality software solution I'm not up to speed on (other than streaming services, such as Tidal)? I appreciate any feedback from forum members.

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 16
someone already mentioned audirvana above, why aren't you reading that?

audirvana has everything you need, download the free trial and come back here if it's not working out for you after that to ask more questions.

I'm analytical by nature and want to pick the right solution vs. just a solution. I read the reply, and in the end, Audirvana may be just that solution. I was hoping for some lively debate on the topic in order to make a more informed decision. I was loyal to JRiver Media Center for many years, until the software began exhibiting issues in both a Windows and Mac environment. Because I'm familiar with it and it has a great deal of functionality built in, I'm thinking of trying it again. But, I want to be sure. Amarra sounds great but has issues. Album tracks aren't always in the right order, the library needs to be rescanned on startup (very time consuming) and there's no way to save the library location. And, the reason I posed the question here is because there is scant information available these applications, perhaps because people favor streaming. Your recommendation to try the free trial is valid; I may just do that.

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 16
Audirvana is the best solution :) that's why there is no further debate. I can't believe you actually use JRiver on a mac, they don't even support retina displays and it looks like something that would run on Windows 3.1 back in 96.

Audirvana has an beautifil interface, is packed with features such as where it sucks in your library(s) from, you can even stream via DNLA to an external DAC hooked up to your stereo, or you can also stream from Tidal and Qobuz. the search function is integrated so you can search local albums or include Tidal/Qobuz libraries, it's like Roon Jr.

i actually keep everything in itunes and have itunes manage my library folder, when i need to play something that's 24bit i fire up Audorvina which connects to your itunes managed library and then use the DNLA feature to stream to my KANN which is essentially now my DAC that goes into an amp and powers the home stereo.

I'm analytical by nature and want to pick the right solution vs. just a solution. I read the reply, and in the end, Audirvana may be just that solution. I was hoping for some lively debate on the topic in order to make a more informed decision. I was loyal to JRiver Media Center for many years, until the software began exhibiting issues in both a Windows and Mac environment. Because I'm familiar with it and it has a great deal of functionality built in, I'm thinking of trying it again. But, I want to be sure. Amarra sounds great but has issues. Album tracks aren't always in the right order, the library needs to be rescanned on startup (very time consuming) and there's no way to save the library location. And, the reason I posed the question here is because there is scant information available these applications, perhaps because people favor streaming. Your recommendation to try the free trial is valid; I may just do that.

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 16
@iridium7777, I appreciate your insights on Audirvana; I'm downloading the trial this evening. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds and experiencing the UI.

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on your experience.

Best,

Joe.

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 16
Audirvana is the best solution :) that's why there is no further debate. I can't believe you actually use JRiver on a mac, they don't even support retina displays and it looks like something that would run on Windows 3.1 back in 96.

Audirvana has an beautifil interface, is packed with features such as where it sucks in your library(s) from, you can even stream via DNLA to an external DAC hooked up to your stereo, or you can also stream from Tidal and Qobuz. the search function is integrated so you can search local albums or include Tidal/Qobuz libraries, it's like Roon Jr.

i actually keep everything in itunes and have itunes manage my library folder, when i need to play something that's 24bit i fire up Audorvina which connects to your itunes managed library and then use the DNLA feature to stream to my KANN which is essentially now my DAC that goes into an amp and powers the home stereo.

I've been running the Audirvana on a trial basis for the last week. I would have to agree with your assessment: Nice UI, straightforward setup, great sound quality, plays nice with Catalina. And, it remembers my library and media locations, and doesn't alter album track order.

Thanks for your insights and recommendation. I'm only sorry I spent money on JRiver and Amarra before before experiencing Audirvana.

Best,

Joe.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 16
I used Audirvana for years - maybe from version 1.0 in 2013. At first I used iTunes integrated mode and it gave far better sound than iTunes. With version 3.5 now, I separate Audirvana from Apple Music (yes I changed MacBook Pro and can get Catalina). I manage all SACD audio in Audirvana. I reckon Audirvana is the great one to play. Don't invest money on their Audivana remote on iPhone. No point to use a remote while you are sitting in front of computer.

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #13 of 16
I used Audirvana for years - maybe from version 1.0 in 2013. At first I used iTunes integrated mode and it gave far better sound than iTunes. With version 3.5 now, I separate Audirvana from Apple Music (yes I changed MacBook Pro and can get Catalina). I manage all SACD audio in Audirvana. I reckon Audirvana is the great one to play. Don't invest money on their Audivana remote on iPhone. No point to use a remote while you are sitting in front of computer.

Thanks for sharing your insights; much appreciated. I've still got an old MacBook Pro (2011) running JRiver on the 2-channel rig in my listening room. Once I purchase the software, I will switch that computer to Audirvana, as well. I agree, for my desktop rig, no remote is needed. I may get it for my stereo setup.

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 16
So, a week and change into trialing Audirvana, I think it's a winner! Interface is clean, library and media location are preserved, wakes the NAS by itself and sounds awesome. Thanks for the recommendation and insights.

Best, Joe.

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 16
re Audirvana-trialversion connected to my imac 2019 (catalina) my Dragonfly Red led color turns green (means 44.1 khz - same as song rate) but when using VOX freeversion with same song or any song the color remains Magenda even the song is 44.1 khz only same color when using my imac native player... hmmm. any ideas guys.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back