Music player for OSX
Dec 28, 2016 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ArronZacx

New Head-Fier
Hey there,

I own a macbook pro and I listen to music with it. I used to use itunes but apple decided to completely ruin it. I switched over to clementine a few months back (I've neglected to update my itunes for forever and only did so recently, which is why it took me so long to start using an alternative) and I've been loving it. Totally enjoy the UI and while using the playlist system took some time getting use to, I ended up really liking it. However, a glitch has popped up where clementine would display duplicates of some songs. I have not found a way to fix this bug.

So, if anyone could give me a suggestion for a OSX music player or if you know how to fix the bug with clementine, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 7
  Hey there,

I own a macbook pro and I listen to music with it. I used to use itunes but apple decided to completely ruin it. I switched over to clementine a few months back (I've neglected to update my itunes for forever and only did so recently, which is why it took me so long to start using an alternative) and I've been loving it. Totally enjoy the UI and while using the playlist system took some time getting use to, I ended up really liking it. However, a glitch has popped up where clementine would display duplicates of some songs. I have not found a way to fix this bug.

So, if anyone could give me a suggestion for a OSX music player or if you know how to fix the bug with clementine, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with Clementine, sorry.

But there are a lot of good music players for Mac OS.  Check out Audirvana or Decibel, for example.

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 7

I like Vox. 
https://vox.rocks

If you don't mind paying, Amarra has very good sound quality. Amarra 3 is dated and clumsy but they're releasing a greatly updated Amarra 4 some time in the next couple of months. 
http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/index.php

Their Amarra sQ+ for streaming sources is excellent and has a great EQ. It's about the only EQ I ever use. 
http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/asqp.php

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #4 of 7
Vox library navigation isn't great for me when you have a massive music library. Audirvana's price is a bit steep. Tried Tomahawk and immediately didn't like the UI.

I'll probably give Amarra and Decibel a free trial run eventually to see if I like it. Currently trying out Swinsian, so far it's working fine. Not the biggest fan of the layout and UI but I can live with it. Really wish that Clementine bug didn't exist, I really liked it.

But thanks for the suggestions so far.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 7
I don't know if you've tried Roon, but it's incredible.  It is definitely pricey, but if you have the coin it is definitely worth it.  It is amazing at indexing your files, but it is much more than that.  It allows you to explore music and is pretty good about finding music for you that you might like based on what you've played.  Also, it can analyze your signal chain and tell you how good your data path is for sound quality.  

I would say it was my favorite non-hardware purchase of last year.  Makes my entire system come together perfectly.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 7
If you are looking for good sounding player I recommend Audirvana Plus (which I am using @ the moment). For excellent UI, I would recommend Roon. But Roon does not sound as good as Audirvana Plus. FYI Audirvana is coming out with new Ver. 3.0 at the end of Jan 17' which support MQA decoding support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back