Music player apps and EQ
Feb 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

paulscape

New Head-Fier
Im not really sure where to post this so mod's please move if appropriate. Currently I am using either my android phone or mp3 player for music - I use it without an amp for IEM's and with a portable power amp for over ear larger headphones. A few of the headphones I have have way too much bass (Some old sony DJ headphones) and a few headphones I own have slightly less bass than Id like (e.g. shure SRH1840). I am wondering how people might be able to compensate their headphones EQ performance using their player apps EQ or dedicated EQ apps? Are there any good apps that work well in being able to boost specific frequencies and can they yield good results to improve a headphones natural EQ shape? I know I can't completely change a headphones sound signature but just looking to maximise how I can improve it.

My android is a Sony xperia T and it has a 5 band custom EQ where I can slightly boost the bass frequencies. It is using the walkman players clear bass function aswell. This works ok with my shure 1840's but Im wondering if there are better ways to improve the bass performance? I have also seen a thread on stuffing cotton wool balls around the ear cushions and wondering if this is worthwhile? Thanks

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 2
Most people are too lazy to do this, but see

http://www.head-fi.org/a/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

for tuning in your headphones to your hearing.

For bass boost, just turn up the bass in the EQ - there's no magic recipe. However, some headphones/iems will always have lacklustre bass because their bass lacks definition. Making sure you have a good ear seal with IEMs helps. You can find lots of threads and reviews here for IEMs and headphones that are good at bass - it might be worth your trying the cheap JVX "Xtreme" IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back