Music organization... whats your method?
Jan 23, 2004 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

KandieMan

Head-Fier
I have a 256mb player right now, about 60 songs on the player...

I am wanting to get a bigger player, most likely 4gb or higher. Hypothetically speaking, if this is filled up, that is a LOT of music files to go through

How do you organize your music? Into genres, albums, bands? Help me out here
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 17
A lot depends on the player and what tags it supports.

I use the iPod so things are organized by (besides playlists) artists, albums, songs, genres, and composers whichever I want to use at a given time.

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 17
I just edit the song...
The ID3 tag is filled with whatever information is given to me on the CD case, and the file name is changed to Artist Name - Song Name
If that isn't enough organization, then various mp3 players have the capacity to rearrange them by information located on the ID3 tags.

Jan 23, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 17
If you ripped from CDs, you can use mp3 tagging programs to fill in all the relevent information into the tags AND the file names. I use the Godfather.

Generally, I create a file tree, putting mp3s into Artist folders, then Album folders. You might also try genre or decade folders if that works for your collection.

Otherwise if you downloaded poorly tagged files, I wish you the best of luck.

Jan 23, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #7 of 17
Basically, you just have to organize your songs into groups (aka folders) and then browse the folders, chose the folder you want then browse the songs in the folder! so easy...
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2004 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 17
I use J. River's Media Center 9 with my iPod. It's a great program since I can make smartlists for music of each genre, not to mention it allows input of foreign characters in tags as well as plays files with foreign characters in its filenames. As for tagging, I use Tag & Rename because of its ability to download tags off the net (full albums only) and ease of tagging en masse.

Jan 25, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 17
I use file trees, or folders of diffrents genres. And if i have a lot of music from one artists then i put that artists own folder with-in the genre folder.... For me its quick and easy to use.

Jan 25, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by mister__big
I use J. River's Media Center 9 with my iPod. It's a great program since I can make smartlists for music of each genre, not to mention it allows input of foreign characters in tags as well as plays files with foreign characters in its filenames. As for tagging, I use Tag & Rename because of its ability to download tags off the net (full albums only) and ease of tagging en masse.

I Use MC9 too. I'll put the file into your player in artist - album folder, or however you would like it. Great program !

Jan 25, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 17
File tree system because I need a Windows machine to create a file to make my iRiver organize by ID3 tags, and I'm happy with my Mac. Mine's simple:
Artist->Album->Songs

If artist has more than one album,
Artist->Album1->Songs
->Album2->Songs
etc.

Not the best for playlists or playing one or two songs, but I'm working on that.

Jan 25, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 17
on my harddrive: artist -> album1 -> songs
-> album2 -> songs

however, everything is different on my iPod. since i'm mainly a whole album listener instead of a song or playlist listener (i won't feel right until i finish an album from start to end, it's what the artist intended), so i make a playlist of each and every album i load into my iPod. that way i don;t have to use browse -> artist -> album on my iPod, all i have to do is go to my playlist and all my albums are at my disposal. all my albums are complete and there are no stray songs on my iPod.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 17
artist \ album \ xx - trackname

where xx = tracknumer (01, 02, .. , 10, 11, etc)

it's easy to browse, and eliminates the need for playlists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back