Music on the go!
Jan 14, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #16 of 33
  Well, I have a pair of HD25s. 320kbps CBR or 256 VBR (or even 192 vbr) is very good. For the part i'm using high-quality mp3 or mpeg 4 AAC podcast files. 

The HD25 is only going to be able to resolve so much. I love those headphones, and they have a great balance, but when I want higher quality I'm listening to my HD650s. Big difference. Out and about, the file quality is not the issue. My best on-the-go headphone sound is from my MDR-7550s, and for convenience/fun Sony's new XB950BTs. 

Cross feed apps can help, for certain genres, especially jazz ensembles or small classical ensembles. I listen to a lot of electronic music, which for the most part doesn't have realistic placement of instruments. For the best sound quality I listen without cross feed to this music on the HD25. 

CanOpener is a good app, and I make use of the Pencil EQ for my Xb950BT from time to time. The HD25, I would rarely EQ it. Its a great headphone for pretty much everything. 

If  'after a while' your music is not sounding so good, it could be fatigue. Do you listen at loud volumes? The HD25 I use mostly for JD work, and it has a very high SPL that will creep up on you. I find I actually lower my music volume over time when I'm on the go. It helps quite a bit, diminishes ear damage and listening fatigue. Also, something may sound quieter, but then after a few minutes you acclimate and can hear the details.

you could be right malfunkt. listening fatique is the most likely culprit. sometimes its not easy to tell. When im using the hd25's at home or anywhere other than with my iphone i'm quite happy with them. It's just out and about i feel they could be better.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #17 of 33
@ Malfunkt i don't normally listen too loud. only if surroundings require it. so from what i can gather you think i am pretty much getting the best i'm going to get out of these headphones? 

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #18 of 33
  @ Malfunkt i don't normally listen too loud. only if surroundings require it. so from what i can gather you think i am pretty much getting the best i'm going to get out of these headphones? 

yup. Although amping can help, I don't think the HD25 is that hard to drive. My C5D is nice with them, if I need the bass boost. But I personally don't want to carry any amp around. You may just need a better set. But the HD25s are really good. Amperior will have more high definition. Perhaps DT1350 (haven't tried them, heard good things). or KEF500.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #19 of 33
  yup. Although amping can help, I don't think the HD25 is that hard to drive. My C5D is nice with them, if I need the bass boost. But I personally don't want to carry any amp around. You may just need a better set. But the HD25s are really good. Amperior will have more high definition. Perhaps DT1350 (haven't tried them, heard good things). or KEF500.

ok. thanks for the info Malfunkt. i might try with an amp. any idea whats a good price range for something half decent?

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #20 of 33

ok. thanks for the info Malfunkt. i might try with an amp. any idea whats a good price range for something half decent?

I'd go with around the <$150 range, where FiiO's stuff pretty much dominates with their portable amps.
If you live in the US, though, you could probably get the Schiit Fulla, since I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #21 of 33
  I'd go with around the <$150 range, where FiiO's stuff pretty much dominates with their portable amps.
If you live in the US, though, you could probably get the Schiit Fulla, since I've heard a lot of good things about them.

cool. 150 isn't so bad.  Iv'e heard of FiiO. i need to do some research now! .... oh god!! here we go... is this the start of me being broke?...haha

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #22 of 33

cool. 150 isn't so bad.  Iv'e heard of FiiO. i need to do some research now! .... oh god!! here we go... is this the start of me being broke?...haha

I think so. It won't be long before you've become one of us...
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #23 of 33

150-200. Do you have a desktop amp/headphone rig? I'd just use the HD25 as is, and put the money into a nice over-ear open back and amp.

I don't think the HD25 improves that much with an amp. Especially for on the go. just my opinion.

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 33

ok i see. That price range is okay. I've been hearing good stuff about FiiO. will look into both. Thanks for your input @thatbeatsguy

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #25 of 33

150-200. Do you have a desktop amp/headphone rig? I'd just use the HD25 as is, and put the money into a nice over-ear open back and amp.

I don't think the HD25 improves that much with an amp. Especially for on the go. just my opinion.

don't have one yet. still deciding what to do.. thanks for the info :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #29 of 33
May I ask where you got the MP3s from?

If you have the CDs, you could rip to lossless and then convert to 256 kbps AAC. (Or both at the same time with dBpoweramp.)

If the files are downloaded, you can't do anything to the files themselves to make them sound better, but you could get the same music in better quality elsewhere.

You may not actually hear a difference between lossless and lossy files, though, so to get the most out of your files, focus on improving your system.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #30 of 33
  i got myself a headphone amp!! well, ive ordered it. hasn't come yet! can't wait to get my hands on it! bought on amazon for 169 usd.

Good thing you ordered through Amazon. They have good return policies.

You will generally experience much greater improvements in sound quality by upgrading your headphones. I think the best strategy is to save up, suffer for awhile, get the best headphones you can afford, then (and only then) get auxiliary components like amps and DACs. (The only exception to this is if your headphones actually need an amp.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back