Music on Blue Ray/DVD movies sounds much better than CD
Feb 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Shark_Jump

100+ Head-Fier
I confess to actually listening to the music at the end of some movies on DVD and marveling in the detail and quality of what I am hearing compared to CD.

Blue ray audio is a step up again. The sound quality is unbelievable. Has anyone else picked up on how good this sounds?

I assume this has to do with:
Sampling rates for recording and decoding.
Studio re mastering of original recordings.

How come Blue Ray/DVD standard (192KHz or better) Dolby/DTS/PCM code hasn't made CD obsolete?

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 15
"I confess to actually listening to the music at the end of some movies on DVD and marveling in the detail and quality of what I am hearing compared to CD."

That just goes to prove that the format, sampling rates, bit depth, etc., has got relatively little to do with percieved sound quality.

CD has a much higher specification than Dolby Digital used on DVDs or at the cinema. DD is a highly compressed (lossy) format, similar amount of data compression to that found in a 220kbps MP3. What is important is how it was recorded and produced. Big budget films tend to use world class orchestras in the world's top recording studios with the best equipment and the most experienced professional personnel, that's why it sounds better than your average quality CD.

The specification of CD far exceeds what people record to it. The CD specification will never disappear because it exceeds the specifications of the human ear!

G

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 15
Blu-ray sound is lossless.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 15
"Blu-ray sound is lossless."

Blu-Ray can be lossless, CD is always lossless. Dolby Digital and DTS found in cinemas and on DVD though isn't lossless.

G

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 15
[Big budget films tend to use world class orchestras in the world's top recording studios with the best equipment and the most experienced professional personnel, that's why it sounds better than your average quality CD.]

Point taken. The production and engineering of most CD's I have is very average, the few good ones do show what CD can do.

But what about blue ray uncompressed codecs DTS HD and Dolby HD? Listen to the music at the end credits of the blue ray, 'Burn After Reading', the sound quality is unbelievable.

...... am I the only one ??

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 15
When I really liked a movie I can really enjoy the soundtrack on the end.
I guess it sounds good because movies are higher encoded and just think about it. Why should it sound any less than a CD?

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 15
Lord of the Rings was done in Dolby Digital EX, which is a 6.1 format surround and is a lossy compressed format. In fact this movie is not "higher encoded" than a CD, the CD has a much higher data rate per channel than movies.

The Dolby and DTS HD formats are uncompressed and can in theory be a higher spec than CD. However, as the full spec of CD is never used, I can't see how an even higher spec is going to make any difference. The quality difference you hear is in how the recording was made.

G

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 15
man got to love this forum, people don't read and just put words in other mouths. Did I say the audio mix on DVD LOTR is lossless or higher encoded audio bitrate?

I said Logic 7 was used as processing during mixing stage, thus anyone with a standard HT can hear what Logic 7 is like.

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 15
Logic 7 was not used during the mix stage. The mix was created as a 6.1 mix and distributed in Dolby EX format, not Logic 7 format.

G

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

not Logic 7 format.

I don't think you really understand anything, it's not distributed as Logic 7, as L7 is a DSP process ONTOP of any other sound format. But if you have the equipment it could be processed with DTS Logic 7, or Dolby Digital Logic 7, rather than the standard DTS or Dolby encoders.

"I have noticed that the new LOTR 4 disc set has the logic 7 logo on the back."

LOTR and Logic 7 - AVForums.com

Pretty sure it's in the credits.

Not just me noticed it. If L7 was not applied to soundmix what is it doing on the box? L7 could be mixed into any format. Much like applying a reverb at the mixing studio and saving it as Dolby Digital 5.1, the end user will hear that reverb. He doesn't need a "reverb" mode in his av amp, just Dolby Digital decoding.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 15
So, exactly as I said then, it was not added during the mixing stage but applied much later to the completed DD 6.1 EX mix.

I have looked up this Logic 7 but it's not exactly clear what it does, over and above what DD or DTS already does. It mentioned the use of matrixing, which immediately rings alarm bells as matrixing virtually always has some side effects.

G

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 15
I would suggest you actually go and listen to Logic 7 rather than being "alarmed" at what it may do. Demo Lexicon av pre-amps, not Harmon/Kardon. Make sure re-eq is disabled on mine it's enabled by default (part of THX Ultra features)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back