Music/mediaserver setup question
Jul 27, 2015 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ejswa51

Head-Fier
I'm looking to make my musiccollection more accessible by connecting it to my stereoset without having to use a pc. I'm thinking of some options, but can't really figure out what the downsides of both are.
In short, I want to buy a new harddisk, but the question is in what form:
- Preferably in one device, but two small ones are okay too :p
- I also want to use it as backup for my pictures and movies and such. I'd like it to show up as a network device on my Surface Pro to backup and keeping my music up to date.
- Therefore a 2tb minimum is in place (preferable 3-4tb)
- But for accessing and playing my music, I don't want to hook up my Surface to my amp.
- Accessing my music on the go (for instance at work) is nice, but not necessary. 

So I thought of several solutions.
One is for instance a Seagate Personal Cloud to store everyting on, and then finding a second hand Squeezebox (Duet?) linking the Seagate to my amp (and using the remote to play music). I read that Logitech stopped support, but do I need it to get for instance a Duet working?
Second is some media-serving device like Cocktail Audio X10/12, or Olive 3HD. For the latter two, I'm wondering if they are suitable for backing up other types of data than music? And I don't need the amps...I do already have a dedicated cd player (some sony), so these two might also replace it which saves me space again. I'm still buying cd's so ripping them isn't necessary.
My main internet-router is located behind my stereo amp, so I will be connecting all datatransfers with ethernetcables (no wifi is needed), and after that to my amp which is closeby.
Are there more solutions? I'm working with Windows (7 and 8), also on my phone, so android/IOS only apps won't work, but if there are nice Windows (-phone-app) solutions, that might be nice to consider too.
I'm on a budget; mediadevices from Naim,Linn, Sony and such which exceed €1000 are stuff to dream about :wink: Let's say 'several hundred euros'. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 3
You should check out this sub forum at AVS which is dedicated to network streaming: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back