Music lover looking to grow his headphone collection
Dec 20, 2016 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MattRG

100+ Head-Fier
I say "collection" in a sort of tongue in cheek kind of way as I currently own exactly two.  In 2014 I bought a pair of IEM's (Sony EX650 Brass) for portable use and then last month a set of Sony MA900 open air cans.  I have no particular affection for Sony products but I do prioritize comfort and both the EX650 and MA900 are extremely comfortable to use.

I've been a music lover since I was a child and my parents gifted me a record player (that sort of hints to my age, doesn't it?).  My focus has generally been on room audio, speakers and amps and the like but I've recently had the desire to expand into at least a small collection of headphones for primarily private music listening.

I will mainly be reading what you all say and learning as much as I can.  I know that I like the MA900's and the way they sound but I an intensely curious about other experiences and would like to go a little bit more upmarket for my next set.

I'm currently looking at some of the entry level planar-magnetic offerings like the Oppo PM3, Fostex TH500RP and the Hifiman HE560 but who knows where I will ultimately end up. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 6
Greetings:

First post here.

If you are looking to dabble with different headphones, might I direct you to Amazon? Right now, the Sennheiser 598 burls (open) and the 598 Cs (closed) are on sale (around $200/ $120 CDN each). These two 'phones are rather nice, I have both of these. The burls might come down in price closer to Christmas or on Boxing Day (I got mine for $125 CDN), so might be good to wait.

I'd wanted to go further and explore the Fostex T50 RP, and are a decent price on Amazon right now as well, but I decided to run with Audioquest Nighthawks (still on sale I believe - check around) and the Nighthawks are amazing.

If you want to try a couple/few headphones, have some slightly different ones on hand, and not break the bank, those Sennheisers are fairly well priced, so you might want to research those some and maybe take the plunge.

Hope this helps a little - I've only started my headphone journey this summer.

Have a great day!

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, I actually peek at Amazon daily.  I am leery of Sennheiser cans because of my previous experience with the clamping force of a pair of HD558's I had for a while.  They gave me headaches and I sold them even though they sounded great.

Sound quality is always important but if the headphone isn't comfortable then I won't get any use out of it.  Still, I appreciate the suggestions.

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 6
If you want to listen to music for enjoyment I suggest you take a look at Fostex TH-X00.

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 6
If you want to listen to music for enjoyment I suggest you take a look at Fostex TH-X00.

If you want to experience the music at its best I recommend the Stax srs002 around $400 on ebay from Japan. They are absolute joy

Great suggestions folks, I appreciate them!  I had been looking at the TH-X00 and will seriously consider them.  As far as the Stax goes, I just looked them up on Ebay and it looks like they are an electrostatic(?) IEM?  I had no idea such a thing existed but I will certainly be reading some impressions now.  How cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back