Music like Tin Hat Trio
Mar 3, 2006 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Trogdor

Reviewer: Metal-Fi
I'm addicted to this group. I absolutely love the sort of background ambient music of Tin Hat Trio (infact I am going to see them this Sunday at Tonic in NYC). Any other suggestions of music like them????? I know they are somewhat avant-garde jazz but I am looking for suggestions.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 5
Just mentioned it in another thread... but I would give Penguin Cafe Orchestra a listen to. Obviously a little different, but there are the elements of chamber music/folk, etc... much less jazzy, though.

Other recommendations that you may like are:

33.3 - Closer to the sounds of Tortoise, but they have a cello as the center of their music.

Isotope 217 - Very avant-jazz, but has a similar sensibility without the "ragtime" aspect of Tin Hat Trio

The Album Leaf - Very beautiful ambient music that still retains strong melodic structures. Again... doesn't have the jazzy/ragtime feel of Tin Hat Trio...

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey thanks, where do you even find these groups/bands? I found Tin Hat Trio on NPR while driving to Rhode Island on business!
k1000smile.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Hey thanks, where do you even find these groups/bands? I found Tin Hat Trio on NPR while driving to Rhode Island on business!
k1000smile.gif

That's actually a tough question... multiple sources, I guess. Usually, I read different websites, like the infamous Pitchfork, etc. to get recommendations. Also, when I find a band that I really like, i.e. Tortoise, I'll go and hunt out bands that were influenced by them or bands that they were influenced by...

Another great source is Rhapsody. I try and fill up my Zen from that service alone. $15/month and unlimited music on a portable device isn't a bad deal. Great way to put in a band name and based on their recommendations, you can find a ton of people. I just typed in Tin Hat Trio and they recommended Tom Waits, John Zorn and Astor Piazzolla, all of them I could see as influenced by or influences of Tin Hat (though be careful with John Zorn if you're looking for something Ambient...)

And the final source is this board! Great recommendations come through every day in here that keep me busy!
k1000smile.gif

Hope that helps! Let me know if you like any of the recommendations above and I can give you a ton more based on those!

P.S. Enjoy the show! I haven't seen Tin Hat Trio before, but heard that they were great live. I'm jealous!

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by astaireboy
That's actually a tough question... multiple sources, I guess. Usually, I read different websites, like the infamous Pitchfork, etc. to get recommendations. Also, when I find a band that I really like, i.e. Tortoise, I'll go and hunt out bands that were influenced by them or bands that they were influenced by...

Another great source is Rhapsody. I try and fill up my Zen from that service alone. $15/month and unlimited music on a portable device isn't a bad deal. Great way to put in a band name and based on their recommendations, you can find a ton of people. I just typed in Tin Hat Trio and they recommended Tom Waits, John Zorn and Astor Piazzolla, all of them I could see as influenced by or influences of Tin Hat (though be careful with John Zorn if you're looking for something Ambient...)

And the final source is this board! Great recommendations come through every day in here that keep me busy!
k1000smile.gif

Hope that helps! Let me know if you like any of the recommendations above and I can give you a ton more based on those!

P.S. Enjoy the show! I haven't seen Tin Hat Trio before, but heard that they were great live. I'm jealous!

Thanks man. I will check some of the above artists out and I let you know about the show on Sunday (hope its good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back