Music like the Verve's E.P. ?
Sep 12, 2006 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Stephen_Ri

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I find myself constantly returning to this album. I've looked for similar artists at spots like allmusic, but it seems The Verve is hard to place in a genre. Space rock revival/shoegaze/britpop/ambient/psychedelic..... I'll soon pick up their earlier albums ( I already have Urban Hymnes, which really isn't the sound I'm looking for, for the most part). Could you guys recommend similar albums or artists? Your response would be much appreciated.

Stephen

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri
Hello, I find myself constantly returning to this album. I've looked for similar artists at spots like allmusic, but it seems The Verve is hard to place in a genre. Space rock revival/shoegaze/britpop/ambient/psychedelic..... I'll soon pick up their earlier albums ( I already have Urban Hymnes, which really isn't the sound I'm looking for, for the most part). Could you guys recommend similar albums or artists? Your response would be much appreciated.

Stephen

So you don't have A STORM IN HEAVEN yet? Well get that. That album really is sort of halfway between shoegaze and britpop, and there really isn't much else like it. Even their next album, NORTHERN SOUL is nowhere near as trippy. I don't know what else to suggest that's like their early sound.

Catherine Wheel's first two albums FERMENT and CHROME would be a start.

-jar

Sep 13, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 13
Try 'Kitchens Of Distinction', early stuff by 'The Boo Radleys'

Sep 13, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 13
Jamesb, I ordered the Boo Radleys' Giant Steps and C'mon Kids several days a go on Amazon marketplace (CHEAP!); I'll have to pick up some of their earlier releases as well. Masonjar, Storm in Heaven is now my top queue on yourmusic. Thanks to you both for the replies. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Sep 14, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 13
yes... definitely pick up A Storm in Heaven. if you liked The Verve EP you you'll like their debut album. also pick up the b-side compilaton titled No Come Down to complete that period.

A Northern Soul is very much different than early Verve, but still not as blatantly Britpop as Urban Hymns. there's moments of lush and ambient pieces one can easily get lost in, like "Stormy Clouds" or "Drive You Home," and agressive wall-of-noise stuff like "A New Decade" or the title track.

early Boo Radleys are quite good, especially the compilation Learning to Walk which collects several early EPs. Everything's Alright Forever is a classic shoegaze album, but Giant Steps goes off on many directions so it might be a bit too much to digest on first listen, but the whole album starts to make sense after a few spins. i wouldn't say Boo Radleys is similar to The Verve but both are great bands.

i think something closer to The Verve would be Slowdive, especially their debut Just For A Day... lots of slow, swirling, trippy, ambient, shoegazey noise. brilliant stuff.

i also second Ferment and Chrome by Catherine Wheel.

i'll mind as well throw in Nowhere by Ride, just because...
cool.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll mind as well throw in Nowhere by Ride, just because...
cool.gif

I'll second it, for the same reason :).

You should probably also check out some of Spiritualized's early stuff (like 'Lazer Guided Melodies').

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 13
I think Mercury Rev's Yerself Is Steam was released a wee bit after The Verve EP, so they should sound the same age. The Mercury Rev lp is not as easy listening as The Verve EP, but still has that alternative psychedelia to it. I think it's a fantastic album.

edit: I just realized how old this thread is. If anybody's still interested, then thanks for reading.

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should probably also check out some of Spiritualized's early stuff (like 'Lazer Guided Melodies').

Yes, since starting this thread I've bought all the Spiritualized albums but Amazing Grace. Also a little Spacemen 3 (though An Evening of Contemporary Sitar Music may not accurately represent their catalog).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Might try the band Voyager One that chose their name because of their love for that first Verve EP, Voyager 1.

I'll check them out. Is Dissolver or one of the previous two albums the place to start?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoboomofo
I think Mercury Rev's Yerself Is Steam was released a wee bit after The Verve EP, so they should sound the same age. The Mercury Rev lp is not as easy listening as The Verve EP, but still has that alternative psychedelia to it. I think it's a fantastic album.

edit: I just realized how old this thread is. If anybody's still interested, then thanks for reading.

Its been on my list of albums to pick up. Thanks for the recommendation, and thanks two all three of you for keeping this thread alive--I'm still very much in this psychedelic groove and have been loving my musical "discoveries" of the past six months more than ever.

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 13
Well that was great timing on my part then. I was just going through another revived thread about the 90s. One of my favorites was and still is Pulp's - His N Hers. It's ambientish, with a bit of a dance influence - still very trippy though. Not to mention brilliant lyrics. This one was recorded during '92.

Happy listening.

Feb 12, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #12 of 13
Have you listened to Richard Ashcroft's solo work? I never listened to The Verve much, and I don't listen to Ashcroft that much either, but I saw him open for Coldplay and he was very good. I don't know how his solo stuff compares to The Verve, but I liked what I heard and he closed with "Bittersweet Symphony" which was really cool.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 13
Yea, as someone said already, Slowdive would be a good choice. I don't have any of their cd's but I've got them as one of my pics on Pandora.com and like everything I have heard from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back