Music like "Four Last Songs" Richard Strauss
Oct 29, 2003 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pcolbeck

100+ Head-Fier
I wonder if the gentle sages of this forum could assist,

In the grab bag of pot luck LPs I have recently picked up to futher my new obsession was a a copy of:

"Death and Transfiguration" and "Four Last Songs"
Richard Strauss
Gundula Janowitz and the Berliner Philharmoniker
Herbert Von Karajan conducting.

Now for many years I have happily ignored lieder, opera, infact everything in the classical vocal domain except sacred music (you can't ignore anything by Bach can you ?). Its probably due to having a parent with a liking for Gilbert and Sulivan (aaargh light opera)
Well for some reason I can't seem to prise Mr Strauss's songs of my turntable and find myself listening to them again and again. Could anyone suggest more in a similar vein that I could look out for.

Thanks

Pat

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 7
Pat,

Good news! There's lots of great lieder out there --- the 4 Last Songs are but the tip of the iceberg. I'd start with the Mahler lieder, including Songs of the Wayfarer (Lieder eines fahrenden Geselien), Kindertotenlieder, and the Ruckert songs. A great mid-priced CD of these is available from Telarc (the page also has short samples):

http://www.telarc.com/Classical/titl...5BJB5KLGFGD8WB

It has everything but the one of the Ruckert lieder, and the performances are very good --- in the straight, rather than super-emotional, vein of Mahler interpretation. Thomas Hampson has also recorded these works, but they may be out of print. The traditional Mahlerians like mezzos singing these songs, whereas my two recommendations above are both baritones. Try both, and see what you like --- Janet Baker is a good choice for a mezzo performance. Another performance I like is Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau on Sony Classical, except this performance is done with a piano accompaniment played by Leonard Bernstein. It tends to emphasize the darker sides of the music, and DF-D is on his best behavior --- no barking here.

It will also be interesting for you to compare the orchestration of Mahler's to Strauss's, because Mahler achieves a chamber-like, transparent sound quality with large forces, whereas the Strauss sound is lusher and fuller.

You should also check out other Strauss songs, as well as Hugo Wolf. Moving forward in time maybe 20 or 30 years, there are the Berg songs, as well Copland's and Bernstein's, all three of which drew direct inspiration from Mahler. Moving backwards, check out Schumann and Schubert both which influenced Mahler and Strauss.

Hope you enjoy your newfound music!

--Andre

Oct 30, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Andre

I think I have got Kindertotenlieder on the end of one of my Mahler symphony CDs but never got arround to listening to them. I'll dig it out and give it a try. I'll keep an eye out for the others you metioned too.

I love it when a whole new world of things you might like to listen to suddenly opens up !

Pat

Oct 31, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 7
If it is the orchestral versions in particular that you like you should check on Wagner's Wesendonck Leider. In a slightly different vein you might enjoy Brahm's Alto Rhapsody.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2003 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Brahm's Alto Rhapsody <3

I like Kathleen Ferrier's rendition (because I just like her voice so much)... but it seems that most people think that Aafje Heynis and Brigitte Fassbaender did the best renditions.

Either way... it's one of my favorite pieces
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I like Kathleen Ferrier's rendition (because I just like her voice so much)...

I might check this one out since I cought a programe about her life on the radio a couple of weeks ago and she seemed like quite a character. Knowing a bit about the artist always seems to add something for me, sometimes posative and sometimes negative.
Gould and his obsession seems to fit with Bach and on the flip side von Karajan's flirtation with the Nazis sours me a little to his work.

Thanks to all for the pointers

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back