Music is my Salvation.
Mar 27, 2007 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
Just a thread to say how much I appreciate music.

Music... MOOOZIC!!!! Every single genre and artist in all it's greatness. Isn't that why we're all here?

Every single emotion we feel has been expressed by music. In all it's notes, chords, flats, sharps and octaves.

There is not one single crappy situation in life which music cannot cure.
Nor is there a single crappy situation in life which no one has written a song about.

It cannot be expressed as a mathematical equation. It cannot be explayined to others, only heard in the hope that an emotion or feeling is conveyed. It's a conduit to someone else's heart.

Music is the only thing in the world that is totally trans-cultural and breaks all language barriers.

It's what separates us from the animals.

I'm going to make a bold statement now that because of music, we are the most superior species in the universe despite all our other inferiorities!! It really is indeed our salvation and those who don't appreciate it are truly lost.

So folks, take a step back. Forget about stupid double blind testing comparing all your gear!! It's not a pissing contest.
Instead, close your eyes for something useful and enjoy the ********* melodies already!!

(I need to sober up a little now...)

basshead.gif
580smile.gif
280smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
340smile.gif
gs1000.gif
eggosmile.gif
etysmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
rs1smile.gif
600smile.gif
lambda.gif
3000smile.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 7
Yer G*D DAMN RIGHT!!!!

Were you listening to James Brown when you realized this? JB is one of those guys who makes me think this.

What were you listening to when you figured it out this time? Isn't it amazing how music can make you realize this over and over and every time seems like the first time when the music is really, really great?

I must post one of my music related dreams. It is a quick journal entry that I wrote that has to do with music and dreams. Music is so beautiful and mysterious.

Like Dreamers Do.

I just now had a dream in which a member of my family died while on a business trip. It was a very real kind of dream. It woke me up and I'll probably be awake for the rest of the evening. The soundtrack for this dream was a strange, harmonious cacophony that seems to recur in the more vivid dreams that I remember. The sound comes up occasionally. The first time I dreamed this sound was years ago and it went like this:

I have a dream in which a teacher who is overbearing, but whom I respect a great deal demands that I play my home address on the guitar. And all around me are other people trying to play their own addresses. They have horns and guitars and other stringed instruments (viols, harps, flutes). They are instruments that sustain. The air in the room is filled with notes and they all represent specific and recognizable places. I think I can play my own address, but the house I have pictured in my mind is a neighbor's. I am familiar with the house, but I know I live in a different house. And just as I begin playing the notes (they are beautiful and seem to be made up of all the sounds that ever were), I wake up.

It is sound, but it is as much feeling as sound. More accurately, the sound seems to be composed of emotion. What makes the sound extraordinary is that it somehow contains all emotions. No matter what I am feeling in the dream the music is always directly correlated to it, is an extension of it. It is similar to the effect of powerful hallucinogens.

There seems to be some kind of mysterious connection between language and music in these dreams that I haven't fully grasped. There is no consistency that I can find. I cannot see the system or the pattern yet. And I don't have enough access to the places where these things come from to get any data. It is strange and frustrating to know something and, at the same time, to not know it.

Dreams are like gestating ideas. Ideas for which we have not created a language. Maybe that's why we believe in premonitions. We have seen our ideas, our thoughts in their embryonic form in dreams and when they come to life in words or language or events we feel that we have known them before. Whether the thoughts or language or events come from outside of ourselves (in the form of a natural disaster or a breakup or an accident) or from inside (in the odd, unexpected feeling of panic at the sight of a heretofore meaningless object: a broken umbrella, a single shoe left at a curbside, a neon sign), we feel a strange familiarity, as if we knew it was coming all the time.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How wonderful for you all. I personally, just like to listen to music, nothing so complicated.

Ahh, but for once, this ISN'T complicated. The emotions described are as natural and organic as the music itself. Nothing is as effortlessly deep and involving as listening to music.

I've probably said it before, Ken, but that damn burger makes me hungry every time I see it.

To TJKurita, we need to talk sometime.
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 7
They say that one of the greatest losses to civilization would be to lose all of our musical compositions.

however, after the dust settles, i believe we can start again. music is something that we will want to create and recreate and enjoy as long as we live, even if we get plunged into the next dark ages.

Mar 27, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They say that one of the greatest losses to civilization would be to lose all of our musical compositions.

however, after the dust settles, i believe we can start again. music is something that we will want to create and recreate and enjoy as long as we live, even if we get plunged into the next dark ages.

but music likes to build upon itself! It'll be a huge loss to start over after losing some bands like the beatles.

And yes, music is so awesome. Theres no way to explain. It gives me so much pleasure just by sitting down in my chair listening from my free desktop computer speakers or from my grados. Its still all music and its all great!!!

and now I want a burger!

EDIT: BTW, I'm making a playlist for my radio show this afternoon and man its so apparent to me about how much I love music. All of it.

Mar 31, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yer G*D DAMN RIGHT!!!!

Were you listening to James Brown when you realized this? JB is one of those guys who makes me think this.

What were you listening to when you figured it out this time? Isn't it amazing how music can make you realize this over and over and every time seems like the first time when the music is really, really great?

I must post one of my music related dreams. It is a quick journal entry that I wrote that has to do with music and dreams. Music is so beautiful and mysterious.

Like Dreamers Do.

I just now had a dream in which a member of my family died while on a business trip. It was a very real kind of dream. It woke me up and I'll probably be awake for the rest of the evening. The soundtrack for this dream was a strange, harmonious cacophony that seems to recur in the more vivid dreams that I remember. The sound comes up occasionally. The first time I dreamed this sound was years ago and it went like this:

I have a dream in which a teacher who is overbearing, but whom I respect a great deal demands that I play my home address on the guitar. And all around me are other people trying to play their own addresses. They have horns and guitars and other stringed instruments (viols, harps, flutes). They are instruments that sustain. The air in the room is filled with notes and they all represent specific and recognizable places. I think I can play my own address, but the house I have pictured in my mind is a neighbor's. I am familiar with the house, but I know I live in a different house. And just as I begin playing the notes (they are beautiful and seem to be made up of all the sounds that ever were), I wake up.

It is sound, but it is as much feeling as sound. More accurately, the sound seems to be composed of emotion. What makes the sound extraordinary is that it somehow contains all emotions. No matter what I am feeling in the dream the music is always directly correlated to it, is an extension of it. It is similar to the effect of powerful hallucinogens.

There seems to be some kind of mysterious connection between language and music in these dreams that I haven't fully grasped. There is no consistency that I can find. I cannot see the system or the pattern yet. And I don't have enough access to the places where these things come from to get any data. It is strange and frustrating to know something and, at the same time, to not know it.

Dreams are like gestating ideas. Ideas for which we have not created a language. Maybe that's why we believe in premonitions. We have seen our ideas, our thoughts in their embryonic form in dreams and when they come to life in words or language or events we feel that we have known them before. Whether the thoughts or language or events come from outside of ourselves (in the form of a natural disaster or a breakup or an accident) or from inside (in the odd, unexpected feeling of panic at the sight of a heretofore meaningless object: a broken umbrella, a single shoe left at a curbside, a neon sign), we feel a strange familiarity, as if we knew it was coming all the time.

Yea - I remember music from my dreams too. That's one of the few things that really sticks with me.

You we're close, I wasn't listening to James Brown, but a collection of Ray Charles. 3 Disc Set called "The Birth of Soul".
Fantastic bloody compilation.

I think Jahn and Jimp both have valid points. I mean look at some of the best music artists these days, a lot of their influence was derived from their ancestors 30 years ago.

But you have new stuff that comes out. I love raving and my favorite electronic genre is Freeform.

Check out www.nuenergy.co.uk

Now, you would have to have a pretty unique kind of mind to even conjure up and enjoy music like that. NOTHING like Ray Charles. Probably the fastest and hardest music on the planet.

I love it all.
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back