Music Interfaces: Tip Box / Wish List / Interactive Live Radio
Feb 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Iron Lung

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I posted the following on a few forums after getting (what I think are) a few good ideas, figured I'd share it here as well to get opinions from the Head Fi community as well:

Let me start by saying some of my fondest memories are of browsing and shopping at a record shop downtown in the 90s. Today, living for a while now between iTunes studio quality tracks at remarkable prices and questionable quality widely available through YouTube, we find ourselves with Spotify. Spotify offers a fixed subscription price at the cost of about 10 songs on iTunes, unlimited downloads with quite a long trial period etc. From my understanding, Spotify then pays either a record label or artist for number of hits on their interface. Seems like an elegant way of making money while giving users a very free browsing expierence that benefits the artists. My suggestions here are to help make the expierence of music online closer to what it is offline.

1) Tip Box
Adding an option to tip/donate through an interface, such as PayPal. Spotify/iTunes/YouTube could choose to charge a percentage for 'x', and artists could benefit from direct contributions and feedback. You could even add on features like: "Donate $50 and get x for free!"

2) Wish List
Allowing artists, if they choose, to have things on a 'Wish List' which you could donate to and/or purchase. This could help aspiring artists upgrade equipment, or simply buy your favorite artist his/her favourite drink or 'hobby' (zippo lighters to priceless watches).

3) Live Radio with the above features
Giving artists air time to thank the fans, interacting directly with them through sets.

I thought this would make sense since live performances are based on a similar type of attitude. After any good live jazz performance, I always try to buy my favourite artist a drink. As for the Wish List, after years of entertainment and a long library, I would gladly buy my favourite MC (Kane Robinson aka Kano) a nice bottle of brandy, or my favourite DJ (Logan Sama) a nice pair of headphones. For the Tip Box, think of what Wikipedia donations has achieved. For radio, a good interactive radio show similar to Total Request Live on MTV (or Heatless Crew on PhatBeats.net more recently) would more than likely yield tips as well.

It's not my intention to point the finger, I just figured it can't hurt to see what people think of features like these so I've created accounts with the above mentioned forums and have posted this. I'm not a big forum guy, but I figured with legal issues arrising from illegal downloading and the main reason for this is the people putting in the effort aren't getting paid, this seems logical if applied on a large scale. If no one's thought of this, I think it's worth looking into at the very least from everyone's (artist, fan, interface, record label, etc) point of view.

I personally encourage musicians and artists, from the local pub to the grandest stage, putting money in their pocket in ways that I personally enjoy (music, tickets, tips, purchase merchandise, drink after the show etc) and from expierence a lot of others who enjoy music feel the same way.

If all this seems like the next logical step forward and I got the attention from anyone responsible for these things, I got plenty of other ideas and I'm open to job offers :).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back