Music help please
Nov 20, 2014 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mortonjl

500+ Head-Fier
Making a switch from Apple to PC, just bought a sweet Lenovo laptop and need some help on the music front. All my music is in iTunes and when I activated on my new laptop somehow many of the songs were double copied. I'm going with a clip that I can rockbox and a Fiio x3 for now, with maybe a higher end DAP later. So, can I get my iTunes music, in MP3 format, onto these new devices with high quality? My other question is, I'm thinking about not using iTunes, what is a better option and what sites are best to download high quality sound without breaking the bank? Thanks in advance for any help.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 6
Making a switch from Apple to PC, just bought a sweet Lenovo laptop and need some help on the music front. All my music is in iTunes and when I activated on my new laptop somehow many of the songs were double copied. I'm going with a clip that I can rockbox and a Fiio x3 for now, with maybe a higher end DAP later. So, can I get my iTunes music, in MP3 format, onto these new devices with high quality? My other question is, I'm thinking about not using iTunes, what is a better option and what sites are best to download high quality sound without breaking the bank? Thanks in advance for any help.

HDtrack sells higher rate music files.
The website Majorgeeks has a lot of free software, which might help the transition from Mac to PC.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 6
Unless there will be licensing issues, just ditch iTunes and copy the files into a new folder. I've had a lot of library issues with iTunes, and most recently, two years ago I received an iPad as a gift, and with FLACPlayer on iOS I didn't have any audio that iTunes can read on that computer (save for syncing that app), and yet, everything before and after iOS10 basically had the same issue. I'm listening on MediaMonkey, then the next track won't play. I look at that app, lo and behold, each track gets greyed out one by one and can't be found. Deleting iTunes puts everything back to normal.

Now if you bought the tracks off iTunes those might not play on any other player; and you basically paid roughly $10 for a lossy copy of each album, when HDTracks and other sites can sell ALAC or FLAC at around $13. If this is the case, I'd say just bite the bullet now and start buying music again, this time in lossless that you can archive and just downsample for whenever you need storage more (or more than the marginal increase over 320kbps VBR). Physical CDs you still have would need a lot of work when encoding though - MediaMonkey is the most convenient interface for me but I'm still more into manually putting in tags. The auto-tag function works as far as identifying the correct CD, but when it comes to how I want the tags so that they come out properly on other devices, I'm more inclined to just doing all that manually.

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 6

Unless there will be licensing issues, just ditch iTunes and copy the files into a new folder. I've had a lot of library issues with iTunes, and most recently, two years ago I received an iPad as a gift, and with FLACPlayer on iOS I didn't have any audio that iTunes can read on that computer (save for syncing that app), and yet, everything before and after iOS10 basically had the same issue. I'm listening on MediaMonkey, then the next track won't play. I look at that app, lo and behold, each track gets greyed out one by one and can't be found. Deleting iTunes puts everything back to normal.

Now if you bought the tracks off iTunes those might not play on any other player; and you basically paid roughly $10 for a lossy copy of each album, when HDTracks and other sites can sell ALAC or FLAC at around $13. If this is the case, I'd say just bite the bullet now and start buying music again, this time in lossless that you can archive and just downsample for whenever you need storage more (or more than the marginal increase over 320kbps VBR). Physical CDs you still have would need a lot of work when encoding though - MediaMonkey is the most convenient interface for me but I'm still more into manually putting in tags. The auto-tag function works as far as identifying the correct CD, but when it comes to how I want the tags so that they come out properly on other devices, I'm more inclined to just doing all that manually.

Thanks, I'll look at mediamonkey. Do you use the free version or gold?

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 6
  Thanks, I'll look at mediamonkey. Do you use the free version or gold?

For the longest time I used the free version then I upgraded to Gold. I didn't really need the extra features, but I felt like if I really like a product then the people behind it can't live off people using it for absolutely nothing, so I went ahead and paid. It'll come in handy when I set it up as a server in the future anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back