Music Hall MMF-5 aftermarket/substitute clamp?
Jul 17, 2007 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

the Red Eft

Head-Fier
Hi,

I bought a used Music Hall MMF-5 turntable last year and have been happy with it. However, it didn't come with the screw-on clamp accessory, and Music Hall dealers online don't seem to sell them separately.

If I can't get an MMF-5 clamp, would another threaded clamp likely fit my turntable, or would I have to depend on trial and error to find one that fits? Can anyone recommend a threaded clamp? Most clamps that can be bought separately seem to be intended for an unthreaded spindle.

Thanks for any info. I have some old records belonging to my parents and grandparents that they've asked me to transfer to CD as I've done with some of my own LPs, but some of them buck the needle at the outside edge of the record, and I think a clamp might help.

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by the Red Eft /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I can't get an MMF-5 clamp, would another threaded clamp likely fit my turntable, or would I have to depend on trial and error to find one that fits? Can anyone recommend a threaded clamp? Most clamps that can be bought separately seem to be intended for an unthreaded spindle.

Hi, spindles do vary and clamp weights are designed with a specific bearing load in mind so it's best to get the one designed for your table.

Have you tried writing to http://www.musichallaudio.com/ ?

FYI Pro-Ject turntables are actually the same decks as Music Hall from the same factory in the Czech Republic so you could also check to see if they are conveniently available.

The records you are describing are warped. This happens when they are left in the sun or too near a radiator or sometimes occurs if a pressing goes wrong, although it's pretty uncommon these days with new records.

A screw down clamp is definitely a good way of dealing with records like this. Other clamps generally rely on weight which needs to be matched to the deck otherwise it can cause wear on the bearing as I mentioned.

Others still, lighter ones, just damp the record but won't really sort out warps and there are also few designs which have adjustable clamping that will work on a wider range of decks. Pickering and Michell made clamps of the last variety which may be your best bet if you draw a blank otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back