Music Hall dac25.2 (tube, balanced, USB DAC)
Mar 27, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #91 of 122
OH and another question, are the OP amps plug-n-play (socket type) or soldered in? If they are plug-n-play, what OPA would you guys recommend as an upgrade and where can they be purchased?

Apr 6, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #92 of 122
I would highly recommend the EAT 88 tube. Right out the of box this tube was smooth and detailed. I was going to try and find the Mazda tube but couldn’t seem to find a single tube? Anyone know who has them?

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #93 of 122
I slapped a NOS Mullard E88CC in mine and it was an upgrade over the Bugle Boys.

Now I wanna swap OPA's but need to know which ones to buy..

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #95 of 122
Thanks much! Does this improve the sound a great deal at all? I mean I read it improves it, but to what extent is the improvement? Is the bass tightened up a lot?

So these are plug-and-play like socket type OPA's right? So I just have to cut the leads off a little bit then pop them right in, correct? Also is there a certain way these should be inserted, or it doesn't matter?

Apr 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #96 of 122
If all you are going to do is switch the op amps, yes you just have to trim the leads and pop them in. You have to look for the half moon chips on the op amps to position them, but other than that I think you are set. I can send you a picture if you want.

At this point I can't tell you what impact just the op amps are going to make. I'm sure its an improvemet. My unit has had so many parts changed out at this point the op amp change can't be seperated from the others.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #99 of 122
Yeah man it's an awesome dac for sure. The XLR output is neutral, while the RCA is tubedriven and is warm.

Sep 1, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #101 of 122
Isn't there now a 25.3?

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #104 of 122
I just got my music Hall 25.2 DAC back from Exemplar Audio where John Tucker performed his modification magic on it. It's still burning in, but eventually I will compare it to my PS Audio PWD, and the Audio-gd Reference 7 (I'm in the loaner program).

I'll try and remember to post here, but my comparisons will most likely be found in the Ref 7 and PWD threads.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #105 of 122
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJHUB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All three opamps must be replaced for the SE outs. You can contact Parts Connexion as well. I've purchased all of my upgraded components from them.

So that would mean this DAC follows the regrettable trend of simply sticking a tube buffer after the op-amps do all the actual amplification
smily_headphones1.gif

Is this true?

Anyone has a little comment to compare with Audio-Gd DAC-19 DSP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back