Music Hall CD mods?
Jan 28, 2004 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hadden

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone had experience with the Music hall modifications? I am thinking of ordering one from Underwood, wondering how it compares to, say, the new range of Arcam players. I have a Cambridge cd500se that does not really exite me. Then again I haven't heard a player that does, frankly.

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 8
I think both Hajime and radrd owned a modded version. Try PM'ing them. (Not sure on radrd's though.)

Jan 28, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 8
Hadden,

Hello there. I owned a modified Music Hall for a few months and enjoyed the sound of it. The Music Hall has a smooth sound, which I like. If you can find a used modded Music Hall in the sub-$500 range it's a great deal. I personally would go with an Arcam player if I were buying new.

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Hajime
Hadden,

Hello there. I owned a modified Music Hall for a few months and enjoyed the sound of it. The Music Hall has a smooth sound, which I like. If you can find a used modded Music Hall in the sub-$500 range it's a great deal. I personally would go with an Arcam player if I were buying new.

Hajime, (or any one else who has experience with a level 1 +1 modded CD 25) would you consider the modded Music Hall to match well with a CD3000? I think I'd enjoy the more forward and detailed sound of the Sony's, but I'd like to reduce some of the harshness and excessive brightness that the CD3000's are sometimes noted for with a source that provides good synergy (plan to amp with an XP-7 with AD797 op amps). Additionally, how do you think this combo would match with the HD-650's (I'm thinking a little too laid back for my tastes)? I enjoy a more exciting sound, so I'd think the warm and smooth modded Music Hall and the CD3000's would be a good match. Thanks, and your comments are greatly appreciated>
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Shurenuff
Hajime, (or any one else who has experience with a level 1 +1 modded CD 25) would you consider the modded Music Hall to match well with a CD3000? I think I'd enjoy the more forward and detailed sound of the Sony's, but I'd like to reduce some of the harshness and excessive brightness that the CD3000's are sometimes noted for with a source that provides good synergy (plan to amp with an XP-7 with AD797 op amps). Additionally, how do you think this combo would match with the HD-650's (I'm thinking a little too laid back for my tastes)? I enjoy a more exciting sound, so I'd think the warm and smooth modded Music Hall and the CD3000's would be a good match. Thanks, and your comments are greatly appreciated>
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the Level 1+ CD25 for sometime and it was a great match with the CD3000s and HD600s that I was using at the time. The nature of the Music Hall is very much like the CD3000s; fast, accurate and detailed. As long as you don't crank up the volume way too loud, the CD3000s won't sound bright or harsh with the Music Hall. I think you'll like the Music Hall with the CD3000s. I also had the Shanling CDT100, the big brother of the Music Hall CD25. The Shanling sounds a little warmer than the Music Hall and I find the Shanling to be more enjoyable overall with the CD3000s. If you can swing it, go for a used Shanling (about $1100-1200 used on Audiogon).

Jan 28, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I think both Hajime and radrd owned a modded version. Try PM'ing them. (Not sure on radrd's though.)

Unfortunately I did not have the pleasure of owning a modded version. Though, the unmodded version was an excellent player for its price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2004 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 8
I owned the Level 1+ for quite awhile and thought it was as good as anything I've heard under $2K. I used it alot with the CD3000. bedlam bought it from me and still owns it. You can check with him too. Also Walter(underwoodhifi) is great to deal with.

Jan 29, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the helpfull replies, Xeno and Tom! I really don't think I could afford the Shanling at this time (although it does killer) as I've set a maximum budget of $900 for my source. Despite the many recent issues of the CD3000's, I really think that it's the right phone for me so I'd like to build my system around it. For my budget, I'm hoping the modded CD 25 is a great solution. Again, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back